do you worry about ever having a personal agenda?

Or rather, being too emotion in regards to your kids? For example my daughter (trying to be funny) snuck up and went "BOO!" to me this morning while I was working w/ an enormous pot of boiling water (I was separating it into half for boiling eggs and half for oatmeal) she had terrible timing and scared me and I burned myself fairly bad. I was annoyed she did that, wasn't coloring which I was cooking like she was supposed to be, didn't apologize, didn't comfort me when I was crying, etc etc. I didn't talk to her for over an hour, totally on purpose like I was pouting. Then I remembered she's only 4 and now I feel like a psycho monster. ... no one is perfect, do u make Mommy mistakes too?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes they do but your daughter is old enough to know she hurt you,Need to talk to her and ask her how she felt when you were burned???Talking helps even if you are the one hurt the most .Also will let her know to come to you if she ever has a problem later on.Kids do the darnest things !You are no monster,just talk to her.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Yes, no parent is perfect!!! I would just talk to her. And you're not a monster!!!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 2:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I think you're being too tough on yourself. I think she should have apologized or shown some empathy. maybe if you reacted badly (yelled at her or something) then she was just trying to stay out of your way. However, I think at age four, I would also feel hurt if my daughter acted like nothing happened when I was clearly injured (because of something she did). I agree with the pp who suggested you talk to her. Ask her what she was feeling and tell her what you were feeling. Parenting is so random sometimes. You can't always do the right thing ---or even know what to do.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 3:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Huh, I think she got off easy. I would've whooped her ass.
    tommy_mommy

Answer by tommy_mommy at 3:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• it was bad timing yes.. shes 4 and i'm sure she has played boo on you before.. you got hurt this time at 4 how could she have known you would get hurt.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 7:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2010