epidural

When a woman goes in to labor, at what cm (dilated) do they put in the epidural?

Asked by admckenzie at 2:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Every doctor seems to have there own window. Mine would do it not before 4 and not after 8.5. the best idea is to talk to yours and see where they stand on the issue.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It depends on the dr. With my first I was 8 cm when I got to the hospital and they told me I was too late for an epidural. With my 2nd I asked for it and recieved it when I was 6 cm. With my 3rd I was only 3 cm when I asked for it, the nurse told me I should wait, my OB told her to go ahead and give it to me.

Answer by missanc at 2:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• it's a window of time..... you have to be at least ?? cm but NOT ?? far along. Each hospital has its own policys in place
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i refused to have it with all three of mine. i'm sorry, the needle scares the hell out of me.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It depends
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Don't remember but it worked like a miracle for me.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Sorry. I don't know. Like the other have said, all doctors vary. Ask yours. I know that with one of my children I waited too long and then it was too late. Keep that in mind so if you want one, you won't be denied.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I still don't know. When I went into labor and went to the hospital, the nurse checked me out and said I had to wait for the doctor because he might send me home. A few minutes later she came back and asked if I wanted the epidural now..so I never did know how dialted I was. But they offered it to me right away.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Sorry I was so excited I didn't explain the situation. My grandson's gf is 2 cm. It's not me. I had them but forgot when they did them since it's been so long ago. Thanks though. I was just trying to get a sense of timing. I know she's hurting now. I am guessing she finally called in for her maternity leave today. I know she was scheduled to work. She just found out the other day Sony (her employer) won't pay her for her maternity leave like they have been telling her all along they would do. That was a blow to their budget. Oh well, at least the baby is finally coming. YAY!!!!

Comment by admckenzie (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• if you get shot in spine
    TAKE IT EASY AFTERWARD!
    i had (c section)
    and of course shot into spine
    did not take easy and got spinal headaches
    doctor said spinal fluid leaking, hence less fluid around brain=headaches like you can not imagine
    doctor said i should have taken it more easy after could have saved me from this pain
    maybe it was roll of dice, but take as easy as you can (watch any back strain!!!) this caused my spinal headaches
    YOU DO NOT WANT THESE!!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2010