Birth of Jesus is a rip off from the birth of Horus form the virgin Isis?

I heard this today for the first time. Some one claiming they did not believe in Jesus because it was rip off story word for word of the birth or Horus by Isis and this story pre-dated the Bible. I personally do not believe this but I wanted others thoughts and maybe more info on this theory.

This is my first stab at *asking* a question in this section so be nice to me. :0) I'm not trying to make anyone mad just get answers.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't understand this one because the story of Isis and Osiris don't sound anything like the story of Mary to me. Isis had to reconstruct Osiris's male member back together to have Horus. This doesn't sound familiar to the Mary story at all. I understand we have a long Pagan history as humans so many things are interwoven, and many stories are about what people had at hand at the time, like water, sky, stars, nature in general. However the Osiris and Isis story seem like a real stretch to me.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I think people who claim that the Bible (and Christianity) is a conglomeration of pagan knock offs are desperate for Christianity to be wrong. I've looked into many of these allegations and they FAR fetched. There are Christians archeology, history professors, (PhDs) etc. who have shown these allegations to be false.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Not as close as the birth of Mithras...
    The Lady Isis was not a virgin ... she was a goddess as well.Lord Horus did not die for anyone, but, did curse his uncle, the Lord Set (Lord Horus protect me) who was the one who killed Lord Osiris and dismembered him. Though, it is thought that the Lord Horus was born in December.. not to sure on that though
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• There are many parallels between the story of Jesus and other myths and figures of different world religions. Some believe he was a historical person while others believe he never even existed. I tend to believe it's a combination of both a real Jesus and a myth that has blended together over the years.

Check this site out for some comparisons:

Origins of Christianity

I might have some other sites that show some comparisons too, but I'm about to leave for an appointment. I'll try to share them when I have time to look them up later if you're interested.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• His theory was that the Bible was basically re-written to meet the Catholic churches agenda prior to King James... (He must have alot of time on his hands)

The OT is part of the Jewish religious teachings not Catholic, and the NT was written prior to there being a Catholic Church

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• while there are similarities in many religious birth stories i think its kinda silly to say any is a flat out rip off of another. i mean if i were to tell my birth story and compare it to one written 50 years ago they would have a lot of similarities too. but since Isis drew Osiris essence in order to conceive Horus it doesnt sound like a rip off story. just b/c there are several virgin like births in several different religions doesnt mean Mary's was a rip off. if anything it shows how connected religions are.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Since I am a christian I believe in God and creation and the bible. The bible prophesied the birth of Jesus and that prophesy is from the "get go." The bible was written when it was written, but the history was always there. If there is confusion about Jesus, I can understand that confusion also and it is to be expected. A study on the prophecies of Jesus can tell me that there is only ONE Jesus and Jesus can be likened to no one, not even close. JMO and beliefs.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 5:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I am with you on this one... where does anyone get the idea it pre dates the bible. The OT was written on scrolls long before Jesus was even born and Jesus birth was actually prophesied in the OT . The book of Genesis is about the beginning of Creation. That is before foreign gods were even created!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Well, I do think a few stories in the Bible can be compared to stories of other beliefs. I often wonder if these stories are just a way for humans to wrap their brains around the idea of a higher power. It seems as though the human mind wants to make a higher power into something more like them. Hence we have such stories as the birth of Jesus, and the stories of other gods and goddesses creating children with humans, or who are born human for whatever reasons.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Here's another site that lists some of the similarities between Jesus and Horus. What any of these parallels mean is up to everyone to decide for themselves, since no one knows for sure. As mentioned above, there are even more parallels to Mithras.

Alleged comparisons between the life events of Jesus and Horus

@RyansMom--I'm not sure if any particular books off hand, but I do have a few friends who are active archeologists who might be able to recommend a few. I can send them messages to ask and let you know. I focused more on archaeology of Central America in my studies, but I do find Biblical Archaeology fascinating. The website bib-arch.org may also list some books and have recent news in the field as well.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2010