dr said to start cereal in the bottle and baby food....

but she's doing so well on just formula. she is 5 months old, 27 inches tall, 16 lbs. she eats a 6 ounce bottle every 4 hours. we put her to bed a 10 after her last bottle and she sleeps til 8:30 in the morning. i don't want to jinx any of that. should i start her on the cereal or not??? she has tried baby food but doesn't eat it as a meal, just a few bites

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the dr doesnt know your baby as well as you. trust your instincts on this one.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i personally would never put cereal in a bottle...and dont start food until your ready!!! i did at 6 mths. good luck here is a bump!!!!
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 3:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• why in the bottle? I mean at 5mos you can try to spoon feed.I wouldn't put it in the cereal if it were me.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• he told us to start this at 4 months. she seems to have a real interest in food. i'm just worried she'll stop sleeping through the night if i start her on cereal
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would never put cereal in a bottle
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i skipped all that and went straight for table food. but i started them when they were about six weeks old. if you're worried, don't feed her at night, wait until she wakes up in the morning. that way you're not interfering with her nightly rutine. good luck.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would not put food in a bottle, start food when you feel your baby is ready, but don't wait too long or they may not be as willing to try it.
    tallamanda

Answer by tallamanda at 3:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• If you want to give her cereal, that's fine, but don't put it in the bottle. Put about a tablespoon in a bowl, add some water, formula or breastmilk (whatever you choose), stir it up, and feed it to her from the bowl. She may only take one bite, but that's okay. It might take her some time to realize that this stuff is "food".

And yes, you can skip cereal and go straight to fruits and veggies.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 3:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have four children and never put cereal in a bottle. When we determined they were ready for cereal (it varied per child, some around 6 weeks, one not until 3-4 months), it was spoon fed.

Doctors don't know everything. Do what YOU want. If your doctor doesn't support your decisions, find a new one.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Personally I would never put cereal in a bottle other than to help with a GERD issue. Putting cereal in a bottle can be a choking hazard and tends to lead to overfeeding if it's not done properly.

You're the mama and in the case I have to say your doctor sounds really old fashioned.

If you want to try cereal she is more than ready to try it from a spoon if she is already eating jarred baby food, but I can tell you this I have read some things that make me believe cereal really isn't necessary and more empty calories than anything. Besides my oldest son HATED cereal so I tried it and it just tastes like *blah* lol I don't know how to properly describe it, just that it was not appetizing at all. lol
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2010