is it illegal to smoke in the USA at work?

its been a law now in England for a while, no smoking in company vehicles, work places, bus stops and the usual like restaurants, bars etc

san78

Asked by san78 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• It varies from state to state.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I don't know of any place that allows smoking inside company property. They don't want to be sued by their employees who don't want their lungs filled with shit the idiot smokers are smoking.  My employees are not allowed to smoke during company hours if they smell like smoke they have to go home and change.  I don't want them to go into my tenants clean fresh smelling homes and making them reek. 

Anonymous

• I think in most places you can not. In Las Vegas you can smoke pretty much everywhere.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• No smoking at the agency I work for.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Smoking laws vary from state to state here in the US even from city to city within a state as well.

My state/city (Oregon/Portland) has some pretty stringent smoking laws. No smoking in any public building. No smoking in bars, restaurants, clubs..etc.. No smoking within 25ft of a building entrance. No smoking in public parks. No smoking within 25ft of bus stops/train stops/street car stops. No smoking in most apartment buildings or 25ft within entrances of those buildings. No smoking on public transportation.

Pretty much the only place a smoker can freely smoke in the city I live in is...........in their own (meaning they own it) freestanding homes (not duplex...etc.. free standing single family occupancy home).
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Nationally, it's not illegal to smoke at work, it all depends on the different regions...I live in south Alabama and the restaurant where I used to work still has a smoking section...
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 3:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Some parts of the US you still can. I know in Illinois you still can or at least 3 years ago you were able to
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• In Ohio, California, Florida, New York, and Kentucky you can't smoke at work, in public places, or even in bars (unless it's an outside bar). There hasn't been a Federal mandate yet, but there is "no smoking" in any federal facility.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• In Michigan this past summer the laws were changed and I believe you can not smoke in public places and businesses. I am not a smoker myself so I'm not positive how far this law goes with work locations. My SO is a very respectful smoker though and considerate of those who do not smoke.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It's usually a city law.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2010