when should you start the all important tummy time?

madelyns_mom08

Asked by madelyns_mom08 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As soon as they start trying to roll over.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My pediatrician says to do it now and my DD is only 6 weeks. He said 3 times a day try and do it. It's hard for us though because she has a sensitive tummy and I have to keep her still and sitting up right for a while after she eats and then she falls asleep and when she wakes up from sleeping its cuz she's hungry and if I don't get that bottle to her pronto she will be screaming at me lol
    jltorres87

Answer by jltorres87 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I would start at maybe two or three months. Just for a little while.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I did do a bit of tummy time when my baby was a month old. It was only for a minute but just to get her used to it. I was there at all times. As she got older I would do it longer. I would recommend getting something like this http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2593005&cp=2610947 It helped make her neck nice and strong.
    Christiansmom17

Answer by Christiansmom17 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• We were instructed to right away. Start off with baby laying on your chest (these are the best snuggles!) and as Baby's head control starts to develop, you can start putting him/her on the floor to play. There is no specific age, since every baby is different. My two-month-old was born with a strong neck (according to the nurses, anyway) and was able to look around right away, but some babies aren't able to do that for awhile.

Keep in mind that Baby probably won't be a big fan of it, so you should start with small spurts. My guys gets about five minutes on the ground with me laying next to him before he gets too mad. Make sure you're not leaving your little one unattended, though, especially if s/he can't turn their head!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• From birth. This builds the muscles needed for rolling over, sitting up, crawling, and walking.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008