ways to teach a toddler the dangers of running off?

ds is in that stage. He will be 3 in april. Today he has run away from me 3 times. Once was in a store, second in the mall (I should have just gone straight home after the first time), third time was in the street. I'm not looking for a bash session on how I'm a bad mom who doesnt watch closely enough. He is quick on his feet and sporadic. I cant keep him chained to the backyard. Also this is a first for us. He usually behaves and sticks by me which is why I have gained some trust in him. He doesnt speak much so I dont know if he understood my lecture or why he got a time out. Any good books/videos for kids this age that teach these dangers? I was like that when I was a kid then mom got me a book about stranger danger and since then I stayed close by and knew who the police were and how to call the operator (the book was pre-911). But I was also a bit older.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 4:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your not a bad mother it happens to the best of us you really need to sit him down keep it short and explain the dangers of what can happen or get a sitter while you run your errands but thats just a teporary fix
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I spanked mine for it and it worked. When you tell a child what to do or not to do, he should do it. That's an obedience issue which will pre-empt many danger issues. He knows what you are saying, and he also knows that he is doing what he should not be doing. You just need to inflict a little sting to make it not so worth his while to be disobeying his mother.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• When in a store and my child did this. More than once. I finally stepped out of his sight (I could still see him) and all of a sudden he realized that I wasn't looking for him or anything... He panicked! He never did this again.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i'm not a spanker. I wasnt raised by spankers and I just dont have it in me. I'd rather stick to "gentle discipline". I am stern and tough with these issues, dont get me wrong, but I dont spank
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My almost 3 yo doesn't understand the dangers of running off. You know what she understands? A spanking.
    tommy_mommy

Answer by tommy_mommy at 4:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Tlak to him. This is a time that I think those cute little backpack leeches are appropriate. Take him on small outings require that he always be in a cart or stroller. Explain to him why this is necessary. Slowly give him a little more freedom For now, he needs to be constantly contained.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I think at three they are still pretty much like puppies and no matter what you say or do, they'll pretty much act on impulse only. One word solution (that worked for me) Stroller! I never went out in public (shopping) without him being locked in his stroller or in the grocery cart seat. The running off explanation works later, maybe at 4 1/2. It is just eaisier for me with the stroller & I have somewhere to put my shopping bags & a drink too! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You could also try showing him morgue pictures of children who were either kidnapped and murdered, or hit and killed by a car. That should do the trick.
    tommy_mommy

Answer by tommy_mommy at 4:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2010