Should there be stricter guidelines in all these unemployment checks?

In my opinion I think there should be stricter guidelines and monitoring. My mother-in-law's good friend has been out of work for a year and a half and she is still receiving benefits...what makes me mad is she is taking this money and blowing it by going to casinos and taking trips...I think this is wrong. She should be out looking for a job and using the monies for bills and such...am I wrong to feel this way?

Queenofscrap

Asked by Queenofscrap at 4:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "As someone who spent 10 yrs with CPS, I would have to say I personally witnessed well more than a few."

Yes Carpy, I'm in the same boat here. It's easy to maintain a bleeding heart when you haven't been faced with the reality of PA abuse for a decade. I too saw beyond the "100's" mark of folks abusing the system, and that was only in 3 states. Again, referring to PA, not UE.

UE abuse DOES happen as well, but we tend to turn a blind eye due to the poor economy. Outsourcing of jobs IS a major contributor to lack of jobs... So why isn't regulation of outsourcing (ie taxing outsourced employment) at the top of the Govt. To-Do list? I've said it before, tax the outsourced jobs, and give tax breaks to businesses employing U.S. citizens. The outcome: more U.S. jobs, more ppl paying taxes, less UE paid out, less deficit.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• She clearly does not need the money for household expenses, so yeah that SUCKS. I have to keep a work record each week I apply for benefits. I use my UE for the BILLS and our mortgage.
    Anonymous

• That's 1 out of how many thousands of Americans out of work!????? Don't stress yourself out over others people life choices....There's always someone trying to get over but without these benefits many families could not survive!!!! They already put you through hoops and hurdles just to get a check!!!! With the cost of living these days and jobs scarce if EDD get any stricter the "great depression" will really be happening!

honeychicks

Answer by honeychicks at 4:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• In a lot of ways, all these anti-PA, anti-food stamp, anti-U/E questions are all the same - punish everyone for the crimes of a few. If you take the benefits away from the criminals, they'll still find a way to be criminals, but all the honest people get screwed over and left for dead in the process.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Yes, I think there should be some stricter guidelines or a gradual decrease over time for the amount of benefits received.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• people on unemployment EARNED their benefits...can we cut some section 8 checks, food stamps, medicaid payments and cash assistance instead?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 4:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• LOL....
    My sister in law has been unemployed half the time I've known her. And she's ACTIVELY trying to get fired so she can go back on. People like her make those in need look BAD.

People do need it. Other people suck.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• xx- A 2 year limit? So you get laid off at age 26, find work oh 18 months later in this shit economy. Say at age 55, you get laid off AGAIN. Sorry- you used your 2 years when you were in your 20s. Yeah- that would work well.
    Anonymous

• What would induce people to overlook the obvious? That's a mystery.

A grasp of truthful facts that aren't based in Glenn Beck rants and propoganda.

As someone who spent 10 yrs with CPS, I would have to say I personally witnessed well more than a few.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• The benefits should definately be examined with more scrutiny than they are. My mom's SO bragged about how he was getting benefits w/o looking for jobs (for almost a year!). He said all he had to do was send in a few business cards and websites every month to "prove" that he was looking for work. He never even met with anyone. It burns me up and I feel so guilty for not saying anything.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2010