Reactive Attachment Disorder

My SS has this and we are having a hard time with him and the dx. Does anyone have a experience w/ it and what was the end result?

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 4:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Adoption

• Sorry, I forgot to put he is four. And his BM is gone.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• He's being treated with medication? RAD can sometimes take years to get through. Are you doing any type of behavior modification?
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• How severe are his issues? Mild attachment problems can be overcome fairly quickly and completely. However, the more severe cases..
    joy2bamom

Answer by joy2bamom at 9:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I like his therapist, she has spent hours on the phone with my hubby explaining how to help my SS. Right now, he has to ask to do anything because he thinks he can do whatever he wants to do whenever he wants. He doesn't trust that I can do anything for him so, we have to teach him that we can a will do things for him. He doesn't look at adults in the face so, we have to work on that, he steals and lies. He is very very angry. He is not on medication because I don't think he would benefit from it. We have other children and I want him to "fit in" and feel like one of the other kids.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I got an email the other day from Rainbowkids.com or org, I'm not sure but it had a great piece in there from a family who has been quite successful in helping kids with RAD. If I still have the email, I'll forward it to you somehow. Maybe they have contact information on there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I misread and thought you said he was on medication. Like joy2bamom said, some of the mild cases can be overcome more easily than the severe ones.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I looked and the website is RainbowKids.com...their Nov. 2008 online issue has the article on RAD....hope it helps. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Children must be showered with unconditional love no matter what are their capabilities.Every child is special in their own way.If you are worried for a child who is suffering from RAD..Using aggressive comfort touch therapy, which is expensive and doesn't reap results,is not the right solution..Use gentle contact and touch therapy..It is highly recommendable to give your child so much love and affection and tell him everything is alright around..Use normal activities like singing or dancing or doing his or her favorite activity together will really help.
    http://www.disorderscentral.com/reactive-attachment-disorder.html
    grectchen1235

Answer by grectchen1235 at 4:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2010