How can i get....

How can i get my 3 yr old to stop useing a pacifier,i've tried evry thng possible and i have run out of options

carisa368

Asked by carisa368 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You have a few options but it boils down to tossing them. You'll have 3-5 days of misery but then it'll be fine. It will likely be worse before it gets better
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Talk to her about starting preschool and when she goes she cannot take her pacifier with her. She will see that the other kids do not have them and she likely will give it up more easily.
    My granddaughter has a binky (a little blanket) She has to have it when she goes to bed. She turned four on the 10th of December. She told me that she was going to stop using it when she turned five. We will see. I am okay with her sleeping with it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• At 3 I would just take it away. It is probably keeping her from talking as much as she should and they will be going to preschool soon. It isn't as hard as you think sometimes, sometimes I think it's harder for us than it is for them.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• as far as other options go, u have plenty. get down to 1 remaining paci for a few days. make SURE your kiddo knows its the last one in the whole house (and car, daycare, grandpas, etc) then take it someplace FUN FUN FUN like bowling, a movie, park, zoo, etc and accidentally leave it there.

you can also try using it as money/currency and having them buy a big kid item like chocolate milk to go in cool new cups, pizza party, a toy, etc.

and the most common is handing it over to a baby, a real baby. i don't personally think that one is groovy
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have heard of parents tying it to a balloon and having a small good bye party and letting it go. That way your child sees it go and can say a big kid good bye. My son sucks his thumb, so i don't think that option would work for us.wink mini

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 7:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Trash them all.

Answer by louise2 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• if you are like me - you want it over fast and you want to ease the pain. i am so glad my son hated passies but i am just lucky! i would tell her she is a big girl now, how that means she can do stuff she couldnt before... and apart of that is giving the babies their passy back. and in return she should get some cool big girl toy for being brave. then we she does have breakdowns wanting the passy you remind her how she is big and has this big girl toy now.... she will be over it in 3 days ...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• dip it in viniger
    iamthekey

Answer by iamthekey at 5:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• cut the tops off ALL of them,and once the child realizes that its gone he/she may cry or whine but they will get over it and stop wanting it....get them wanting something else!! is the child on hard or soft top sippy cups? if they are on soft top,switch to hard top or you may or may not have issues later on down the road with the transition.....it might be tough for you to do this but it has to be done,the child is 3 years old!! the other moms on here have great ideas as well,dip it in vinegar,or tie it to a balloon and have a goodbye binkie party,tell the child its the last one in the house and make sure they know it!! there are so many things you can do to stop the use of the binkie.....just try everything if you have to.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• This is the reason why I never alowed my DD's to have a pasifier. They have know real use anyway.

Answer by louise2 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010