when do you let your teen daughter start driving long distances by thier self.Im asking this because her dad moved to Georgia and whats her to come visit him,but it is a four hour drive to get there.I know some times i can be a little over protective.She is very responsible and a good kind.But a worry about things that can happen.When is the right time?

caustin

Asked by caustin at 8:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• If GA is out of state for you not until she's 18. Even if it isn't that isn't something I'd be real comfortable with. There are a lot of dangers on a road trip for anyone. A young teenager, even a responsible one makes me nervous. It isn't about them..it's about all the vermin out there around them.As always, just my opinion
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• By herself? I would tell her to bring a friend, that you like and trust obviously, and she can go. All alone, probably not a god idea. But you know your kid, if shes smart and wants to do it alone, maybe shes ready. All kids are different, me at 17 would have been ready, but probably would have gotten in alot of trouble lol.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I think she should be 18 to travel so far all alone, and even then I'd be scared, lol. I took my first long distance trip alone when I was 19 (drove for 10 hours!). That was actually pretty frightning to me. I wore a ring on my ring finger at the rest stops to keep men from bothering me. (just in case)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• This is a hard one but I would also say the older she is the better. GA is busy with lot's of traffic. If she were to make the smallest mistake it could be tragic. Teens think things happen to other people and not them. I don't believe a parent can be too over protective. If anything were to happen to her you would never forgive yourself.

I guess I'm so passionate about this because a neighbor of mine just lost her 16 year old daughter in a car accident. Her pain is almost too much for her to handle. Her daughter was texting her boyfriend and lost control of the car. A one car accident.

Don't mean to scare you it's just my opinion.
    coastalmom1220

Answer by coastalmom1220 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I also would agree that if it is not absolutely a necessity, 18 years of age.
    Ladiesusan1

Answer by Ladiesusan1 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Not until she is a very confident driver with at least a years experience. I like the suggestion of taking a friend, safety in numbers & make sure she has a cell phone.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2008