What is the best way to encourage a life long love of music in my now 3 year old?

Since he was an infant he has loved music. More than the average kid. He even knows how the violin works without ever being shown. Me, I have no musical talents and neither does anyone I know. So how can I encourage this in him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Our local parks dept has a Music for Mozart class. you should check around and see if there is any in your area.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You can find a good music teacher for him. Or you can even find a school where they focus on music teaching. It is so nice when someone can play on an instrument:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Have music playing in the background during the day. Play music and have him pick out the instruments. There's a toy called music cube, I think, that plays a classical piece and then the child presses the sides of the cube to listen to individual instruments.

Answer by Bmat at 4:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Sing songs with him, even if you can't carry a tune. Buy him musical toys, musical instruments, and if you can afford to, hire a music teacher if he wants to play an instrument this young. Don't be pushy, but I agree it's smart to encourage him this way. Good for you for taking note and helping your son with what he loves!! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• sing songs with him. play all kinds of music in the house and car, buy him instruments, take him to see musicals and plays that feature music
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Aww..sounds almost like my Son. My Son was Born to Rock and has quite a musical ear! He knows almost all of the instruments and what they sound like. His favorite instruments are the drums (He has a real set) and piano (We can't wait to get Him one). He takes after me with His obsession with music and singing..I don't think He'll ever stop loving it. Bumping for you!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 6:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Sounds like my little one. Why not get him a kid drum set? My SO and I are both musically inclined, so i play piano with her daily, and SO shows her how to drum and play guitar daily.
    I would definitely look into your citys parks and recs catalogue. Mommy and me music time!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I play music for my 2.5 year old all the time. We sin sons in the car or I let him pick out the music we listen to, he's very opinionated and loes anything with drums or guitar and a good beat. I am constantly on Craigslist looking for cheap instruments so he can see who they work and eventually pick one. Currently we only have a banjo and flute, but I am looking for a violin, cello, drums (which he LOVES) and anything else I can get my hands on.

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 7:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• He could be a musical prodigy and at some point you may want to get him lessons to see how far he can go with his given talents.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• the internet has a lot of programs u can try just google
    iamthekey

Answer by iamthekey at 5:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2010