How much do I have to earn to get EIC?

Does anyone know that live in the state of MI. I worked for myself part time this year so does that make a difference?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 4:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• The less you earn, the more EIC you can potentially qualify for.

EIC is based on: income (the lower the income the more you will potentially qualify for) and the number of children you have (the more children you have the more you may qualify for)

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• That is my understanding also...and I think that's federal, not state. But I could be wrong.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Yes, the provisions/guidelines for EIC are federal not state. That state you live in has no affect on your EIC qualification.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I beleive you need to make at least 4000 depending on your family size.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• you could look on the IRS website maybe that would help you.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 5:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It's federal and it varies by not only how much you earn, but by the number of children you have.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• @Iraqivet...thanks there is an actual amount of earned income you must earn. You can not just get EIC you have to have earned income. And I think $G is right.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Actually if you make $1 you can get at minimum $2 in EIC (single, no children) but if you are married with 3 kids you can get as much as $11 back assuming you made $1 that year.

The max you can make and still qualify for the credit is $48,279 married filing jointly.

The max you can make and get the highest refund (assuming you have at least 1 kid and are married) is $21,450

Working part time, or being self employed won't make a difference with the EIC credit.

Here's a link from the IRS website;
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p596.pdf
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• IN my state, it is based on your income and number of children. We have never qualified for it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Man seems like when I ask my tax lady about it I never can get it...she never really explained it to me. She told me when I was prego the EIC will be good for me next year. So I worked a bit and was excited about it but then i file and she said I didnt make enough. i was like damn why you get me excited about it and I can't profit from it? I don't know if I should use her again this year or what.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2010