Is this a bad eating schedule?

My 2 1/2 year old only eats 2 or 3 times a day. He wakes up and has a carnation. Then around 11:30 he has a snack. Today was cheese and grapes. And then after nap sometimes he wants lunch. But sometimes he'll just want a late snack or even nothing until dinner.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does carnation mean like instant breakfast? at 2 y/o? I think that's a tummy full on liquid instead of real healthy foods!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• His doctor told me to give it to him bc he's so picky and he's small and he doesn't gain much. Even before I started it, he didn't eat much breakfast.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• IS he thin? Does he look sick? If not than what's the matter? He eats three times a day and he asks more food when he is hungry. It seems to me like a healthy kid. He probably doesn't need more food. Just wait until he will turn 12 from than on you can feed him endless:P
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 5:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• PS ..... isn't that a crazy lot of sugar? I think the same vitamins would probably come from a bowl of lucky charms sadly. sounds like protein and iron are badly missing..... eggs, chicken, noodles, salads, etc. good luck!!!!!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My kid has days where he won't eat anything and days he pigs out. He's average weight.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• there is days my little girl doesn;t eat much and other days she eats plenty. i would try to introduce some breakfast items. even if its bread and cream cheese or peanut butter. make it into fun shapes. if the dr says its ok i am sure it is but i would try at least with something else. my little one loves breakfast but doesn;t always eat dinner but she is a all day snacker with fruit and veggies and grains.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I think he should be getting his nutrients from actual fruits, veggies and protein...not a meal replacement/shake. Just my opinion.
    Try offering a variety of food (not all at once...one by one). And don't force. Just put them on a plate on the table when he is coloring or something. Then leave. A minute or so later walk by and pick one of them up and eat it. Don't say anything. I know it sounds wierd, but kids are curious...they might try it just outta curiousity.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• They eat when they are hungry. As long as your offering and he is communicating well enough to let you know he is hungry AND he is thriving, then I think this is fine.
    jenaroma11

Answer by jenaroma11 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Does he like the carnation? Carnation in a serving of whole milk is a whole lot of tummy filling calories. Would he be willing to drink it after dinner (dessert or whatever you want to call it)? I'd offer him normal, healthy food for breakfast and other meals (even if he doesn't want to eat much) and then end it with the carnation. This way, he's more likely to eat food to fill his belly during the day and then get topped off before bed. Good for you for sticking with healthy foods like cheese and grapes rather than trying to fatten him up with junk food! Just offer him a variety and let him pick what he needs.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2011