Is the phrase "Mama Sita" offensive?

My 7 year old got in trouble on the bus Friday, because a boy (who spoke Spanish) told him to call a girl Mama Sita. According to the principal, this term is offensive. The principal said that she didn't think it was, but she talked to the ESL teacher, and she said that it actually was.....but why? I took a few semesters of Spanish, and we have a growing "Mexican" population, so Spanish is getting pretty commonplace, but I still had no clue about Mama Sita.

Would someone please explain to me why this is offensive.

o0oandreao0o

Asked by o0oandreao0o at 4:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• LOL, on here it probably is!
    Anonymous

• A friend of mine called her little one that. I don't think it's bad?
    Anonymous

• I know we have a restaurant near called Mamasita's; the food is great!
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 4:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• What's non offensive these days. If some one called me a Dilly Bar (Dariy Queen....LOL) someone may or may not find that completely offensive. Not me! I love Dilly Bar's : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• to my understanding it's like saying "sweetie" or "honey" I don't consider it offensive.

technically the word means "little mother" so in it's traditional meaning it might be offensive to someone if they aren't a mother or expecting... but I really think that's going over the top KWIM?

it can be used in a vulgar way though to mean that you want to have an affair with someone... kind of like hitting on them.

It would all depend on his connotation behind it.
    Anonymous

• My spanish prof said it can be used in a demeaning way....it means little mama but its how you use it i guess
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 4:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Dilly Bar is ice cream.....FYI.....LOL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Mamacita is just "Little Momma" literally.. some slang implies sexy momma... etc. It's not a slur that I know of. Would he have gotten in trouble for calling someone sexy? I don't know how the schools are. Thats basically what he said.. hot momma. ;)

If anyone else knows why this would be considered a slur - please explain!

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I already explained Sarafyna :)
    Anonymous

• It's actually spelled mamacita...but I know that isn't important to you =]

It literally is just another word for "mom". If you called your mom mamacita, it would just be an endearing term like mommy is in English. But apparently in Spanish-speaking countries it's become more of a slang term for a sexy woman, or a woman you'd like to have "relations" with. So maybe the principal was taking it as that, the slang version.

I guess it's like if you go to a bar and some guy walks up and says "Hey baby." In a Spanish speaking country, the guy might walk up and go "Hola mamacita." It's all according to the context :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2008