do you really have to boil the nipples after every time you use them?

i boiled them after i got them but some people are telling me after the first time you can wash them with soap and water and they will be fine. but others are telling me you have to boil them after every use. what do yall do??

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 4:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a microwave sanitizer that I use after every washing, but I don't know that I have to...but I can, so I do. :) Sorry I can't be of more help!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i boiled mine befor the first use and then boiled them every couple weeks but other then that i just washed them well with soap and water.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Some people are still freaked about that. But it says on the package not to boil them. If I was getting them used like a grage sale or ebay. I might though. I think that when people go overboard on being so sterile like boiling every use. Is what makes kids sick.
    Anonymous

• Oh no, I never did. I boiled them the first time, and then after that just used hot soapy water after every use. I did boil everything from time to time (particularly when we were dealing with thrush), but not after every use. You can also buy special sanitizing bags that you can use in the microwave.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i always washed mine in the dishwasher and ran the sanitary rinse cycle. Never had a problem. But if u dont have a dishwasher.........hot spary water is fine. Just be sure to rinse them really good.
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 4:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I boiled them the first time I opened them now I just wash everything with hot soapy water and thats it. I don't think its going to hurt her lol I agree with Anon 4:26 people are overboard with the sterilization! If they get a few germs it will make their immune systems better lol
    jltorres87

Answer by jltorres87 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• The day I bought them I boiled them. After that I would wash them very throughly with soap and water. I would boil them maybe after that once a month just for safety reasons. But you dont need to boil them. I also think that people are very insane with cleaning things. If you clean things the way some people do the babies immune system will never grow. Sometimes them getting a cold etc is better for them just to get immunity towards it.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I also use the microwave sterilizer bags. Takes only 3 minutes in the microwave.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I boil mine everytime, but that is only because our well water has lots or iron in it and i don't want her to get anything like thrush that she had when shw was 2 weeks again if i can avoid it. So my husbands mother sends me home jugs of there water and i boil them everyday. I have like 15 bottles, so i can do them everynight and have some left over if i don't get time to. But if i had good water i would just wash the in hot soapy water.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 4:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I boil them the first time and then just wash them anytime after every use with soap and water.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 5:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2008