Hey Everyone, How many Mom's have sent their Boy's to school, if they turned 5 years old in August? We are thinking of holding our son back, he makes the cut off by four weeks. Thanks, for the advise........Sherrie

nursegirl87

Asked by nursegirl87 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• when my youngest started school the cut off was 30 september. His birthday is 30 September. We let him start. It actually helped a lot. We learned his first yr he had 3 learning disabilities. Early diagnosis was very important. He didn't have to unlearn bad habits.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Don't hold your child back if you do not have to. My sisters and I were held back and I hated being a year older all the way thru high school.
    niseylee

Answer by niseylee at 9:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I'm having the opposite problem. I want my twin sons to start at 4, since their birthday is just two weeks after the 12/1 cutoff. I don't think they should be held back another year for the sake of two weeks. They might become behavior problems due to boredom and not being challenged after being in daycare and preschool for so long.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Put him in school he has the upper hand of being the younger sponge in class, Children learn so much more as they are younger to older. My daughter did so well in kindergarten turning five in september versus the older five year olds her mind was fresher and younger. she left reading and writing which has been amazing delaying any kind of education cant be best
    tainabxpr22

Answer by tainabxpr22 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Good question! When both my sons were 5 I thought why keep them home or in day care? They won't learn as much and I might as well get them started. I wish I would have waited. Especially with my last son as his "maturity" was a little behind and we struggled so much with his school work. School now is much tougher, much more stressful. My son had to finally be held back (our choice) in 2nd grade. He's going into 4 this fall and I am sooo glad we held him back that year. 3rd grade was a huge challenge for him even after being held back. Please just don't go by age, but how mature you think he is for his age and how long his attention span is.
    Ladiesusan1

Answer by Ladiesusan1 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• The answer really depends on your sons developmental level. Some very intelligent children (esp. boys) just aren't ready for academics that early on. Sending him when he's not ready could start a negative attitude towards school that could continue to impact him for years. If he was in preschool you could ask his teacher her opinion. You could also talk to a Kindergarten teacher (maybe find one here). I'll have the same issue with my son who makes the cut off by a few weeks. We are going to wait and see how ready he is when the time comes.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Our son turns 5 in September and he is going. He has been in full-time preschool for 2 years so I figure he is ready. Worst case, if his teachers think he is not ready for 1st grade at the end of the year he can repeat. I also have the option of putting him in an early-K class. Our school district just added it for kids in this situation but classes are only at specific campuses. They offer a more nurturing environment.
    Maybe there is something similar in your area?
    I know the preschool he was in had a transitional K class for kids who had learnt enough in preschool but weren't old enough for Kindergarten.
    I am also planning on having dad or I available as much as possible to help with his transition.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• my daughter just turned 4 the day before she started school and is now in 2 grade and doing ver well
    tfmmpmmdmmom

Answer by tfmmpmmdmmom at 12:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• You need to look at your child and make that decision. There are a lot of factors to weigh.Speech, fine motor skills, independence, skill level/readiness and size compared to peers.
    You know your child best, don't let family and friends push you into doing something that doesn't feel right. It might be best to send him or to wait another year. Each child is different. Talk it over with ppl and then you and your husband make the decision that feels best!
    ChattyWifePlus2

Answer by ChattyWifePlus2 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• my son turned 5 in sept right after he started kindergarten...but he had went to preschool the year before and done very well...i think it really depends on if he is ready or not
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 11:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2008