No interest in Learning

My son just turned 3 in Nov but he has zero interest in learning games or activities.. he doesn't know his alphabet, his preschool teacher says he has so much trouble staying on task and very little interest.. he's been through ECI and shows only Anxiety being an Issue.. but he just doesn't care.. We have books and letters for the Fridge, fun activity books that have puzzles and dry erase board and all - we sing songs- he just doesn't care.. is it too young to REALLY worry about this?? I mean I know it all comes in time but we struggled so hard in school and I'd like to learn tools for it to be easier for my son

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• My ds turned 3 in August and has shown no interest in learning either. He had vision problems and had to have corrective surgery so I attribute some of his delay on that. He does know his colors now (courtesy of Candy Land with his brother) and he is learning to count. As for numbers or letters he is yet to learn the difference when looking at them but can sing the Alphabet fairly well. He also isn't really coloring appropriately or able to draw basic shapes. Wow, so sorry to go on and on! But I am concerned as well for my ds and I work with him often on these issues. But each child develops at their own rate and my ds is moving along slowly. If you truly feel there may be something more I would discuss it with your ds's ped. But from reading the other posts, I'm thinking we may be more of the norm than we realize.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i would not force him to do the learning. just play games or even just counting when going up stairs and just make anything into a learning opportunities. do not listen to myopiniocounts she is the dumb one. anyways, i am sure he will be fine but i say don;t stress too much and just keep doing what you are doing and just make it fun and don't make it out to him as actual learning just playing.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My daughter will be 4 next month. She shows little interest in learning either. She started preschool in the fall. She does know somethings and seems really smart, but she cannot read any of her letters or numbers and gets made when you try to make her. I just try to work w/ her every day and not push it but I feel for you. Good luck.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I also bought my daughter Alphie for Christmas, you should check it out. It makes flash cards way more fun for them.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• He will be absorbing a lot of things through talking, singing, and playing games (not necessarily "educational" games). If you just mention letters, colors, numbers often he will pick up on some of them and when he's ready he will take off with it. You can slip in colors or counting when you are playing with blocks, cars or trains. You can talk about letters while you are shopping. If there are several items on your shopping list that start with the same letter point out a few and ask him if he sees more that start with that letter. He may not want to participate at first, but if you keep doing it and act excited he may want to join in, and once he has some success with it he will want to do it more. At 3, pencil to paper activities are not nearly as important as learning from everyday activities. Ask Daddy to try to snaek in some "learning" in his play time too. He might also enjoy playing "school" with his cousin.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Another idea for the alphabet is to make up your own funny song with matching movements for each letter. I did this with my older one when she was little. We had things like airplane A where we'd put our arms up in the shape of an A and fly, and bump-bump B where we'd trace the shape of a big B in the air with our finger. Boys (and ADHD kids like my older daughter) tend to learn better sometimes while moving around rather than sitting still. Also, when it warms up in the spring try writing giant letters outside with sidewalk chalk.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Try some of the websites online like sesame street etc. There are a lot of internet learning websites and my son loves to get on those. They can learn the alphabet, numbers, colors etc. The websites are designed really kid friendly you can sit along with him and maybe hearing the different Sesame Street characters he will want to interact more and get fun out of it while learning at the same time. Hope this helps...
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i would not force him to do the learning. just play games or even just counting when going up stairs and just make anything into a learning opportunities.Find things he like and create them in to learning ideas for counting and letters....
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 7:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• – collapse
    dumb
    MyOpionCounts

Answer by MyOpionCounts at 5:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 (hidden) + expand