Oooookay moms I need some help with my 1 year old

So I recently saw a post from a mom asking what she should do about her son hitting others.

My questions addresses the opposite: What should I do about DD hitting HERSELF?

Sometimes its obvious what she is TRYING to do. For example, She'll slap herself on the eyes...because she's trying to play peekaboo.

But other times, specifically when I tell her NO NO she'll start smacking herself in the head, " Like STUPID STUPID STUPID"...Know what I mean?

I don't spank her. I have no idea why she would do that. I do not remember any of my boys doing this. If its nothing then great, but if its something more I want to be on top of it now.

Thanks for any input moms.

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 5:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she will outgrow it. It's completely normal. I just kept repeating every time, don't hurt yourself, be easy, be nice. And took her arms down from wherever she's hitting.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My daughter does the same thing. She is two. I think it is normal. My brother used to do it when he was young too...... BUT much worse. He would hold his breath until he turned blue and bang his head on the wall. The doctor told my mom to ignore it and he would grow out of it. Who knows what the doctors would say these days. I do just ignore my daughter though... she does it as part of a tantrum so I am not that concerned. GL!
    jenaroma11

Answer by jenaroma11 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• thats really normal and nothing to worry about. shell forget about it eventually, & move onto something else. just a phase a lot of children go through.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• If your child is to the point of hurting herself, maybe put gloves on her. I have children and Grands and they all did or do that.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 8:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• it's more common for boys to do this but girls can do it too. My son started around the age of one and he's 2 and a half now and only recently stopped. She's showing her frustration. If she's doing it because she doesn't want to do something you want to (like playing peek-a-boo) don't force her.. just tell her "Okay no peek-a-boo" also, gently take her hands and tell her not to hit, to be nice to herself. The dialogue I used was, "Don't hit Zarek. Zarek needs to be gentle. Be nice to Zarek." (Zarek is my son's name.. at her age she doesn't understand "you" or "yourself" but knows when you say her name you are talking to or about her. She may outgrow it fast but it took a year and a half for mine to stop. Don't get mad at her or scold her when she does it or she may do it more often. I know it can be embarrassing when they do it in public.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 9:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My daughter does this but does not hit her head, she hits her tummy. She is 22 months old and has been doing this since about 15 months old. She only does it when she is frustrated at you (like telling her that she can not play with something and she really wants to). I just tell her that hitting is not okay even if it is hitting ourselves and I just tell her that we have to be nice and use nice hands. Sometimes it works (if she is not to worked up) and sometimes I just have to let her calm herself down before I can deal with her because she just gets more and more upset.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:26 AM on Dec. 30, 2010