Creditor Harrassment

Can creditors harrass the crap out of you all day when your at home to the point where its so bad that you won't answer the door and they try an break it down and ring your door bell constantly for along time and pound on your door or can they be sued for this? Expecially when you worked out payment plans with some of them then they decided they wanted more and canceled the payments.

babydoll845

Asked by babydoll845 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• The rules are based on the state.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would contact a lawyer or your local PD and ask the laws on this.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• No. See this page: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre27.pdf

It's the Federal Fair Debt Collection Protection Act. Specifically, they cannot threaten or deliberately harras you. I would say trying to break down the door is definitely a physical threat.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would check w/ your local police dept. It sounds like they are crossing a line to me, but you still should check. Of course we could never answer the door w/ a big snarling dog, or a big Smith & Wesson, b/c then we'd be harassing them- LOL- wink wink. In the meantime, if you have worked out arrangements w/ these people, just dont ans. the door or the phone. Good luck (BTW- I believe they come back as pond scum in their next life! -LOL)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• In CA it's illegal for them to even harass you via the phone.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• The law is different depending on which state you live in, but if it seems like harassment to you, then it probably is.

Start recording the phone calls, and if possible video tape them when they come to your door. You do need to let them know that you are recording them.

If they do anything illegal you will have it on record and be able to use that against them.

I'm sorry you are going through this. The good news is that if they are harassing you and you can show proof, then they usually will forgive the debt since they are in the wrong. But you will need the proof first. Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• They cant do that and they know, get a lawyer, cause the police cant do anything, you owe them money. My husband was sued for harassment and the judge threw it out because the person he was calling had his personal belongings.

Here is an affordable solution, they will run with their tails in between their legs.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Pay what you owe them and they wont harass you
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would call the police and ask what the law is in your area, and what can be done about this. If it were me I'd tell the ones on the doorstep that they have 5 seconds to get the hell off my property before I call the cops! I'd also contact their company and report their behavior and tell them that threats and harassment will NOT get the bill paid any faster... so they can stop the 'scare tactics!'
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010