how to stop my 3 year old from whining/crying/whimpering all the time?

You tell her know she cries, you tell her to wait a sec she cries, if something is not working out for her she cries. it is driving me nuts. How can I get her to talk and tell me what is wrong and not cry ALL the time?

edit: is it a girl thing? b/c my son is now 5 and never went thru this.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I want to know if it's even possible to stop that at this age! lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 6:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Ignore her crying and don't make a huge deal about it, and I bet she will stop. If she gets attention when she cries, she has no incentive to stop. Tell her that you can understand words, not crying, and praise her when she uses her words.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 6:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I try to tell my son to use his words...if he can't calm down, I ask him if he would rather go to his room to calm down or just calm down on his own...usually he will calm down right then because he doesn't want to have to go into his room and whine alone...
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• DUCK TAPE!!!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• LOL!!
    Bubbie0809

Comment by Bubbie0809 (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Okay real answer try time outs and talking to her at her level and telling her to talk with an indoor voice
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My daughter spent a great deal of time whining about everything. I kept encouraging her to talk instead of whining because it really can be irritating if they try to use it as a means to communicate. Eventually she stopped, but it took a while to break her of the habit of asking for things in that manner.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i have that problem right now with my son who is 3 so i would like to hear what the ladies have to say to
    Mama07Shorty

Answer by Mama07Shorty at 11:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Use us a couple of things that work for us. One my DH and DD did a contract that if she whines, it is automatic 2 minutes of time out. So when she starts to whine DH will say Hey Hey don't forget about your contract??? Remember Time out???? and she stops.

I will just answer her whine with a whine and I have a much higher pitched voice then hers. After about a minute or too she will change to her 4 year voice and say something like Mommy this is not a good idea - can I start over?

Then she watches the upside down show so we use the "rewind" technique too. If she comes in whining, we will stop her and say - Rewind use the beautiful big girl voice you have.

Lastly for the crying we usually bring out the "tickle Monster" and that stops the crying for me. DH on the other hand tells her to "dry it up, dry it up"
    Good Luck
    kittymom

Answer by kittymom at 1:46 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• pretend to cry when she crys show her how silly she looks
    iamthekey

Answer by iamthekey at 5:40 AM on Dec. 30, 2010