For those who know about psychic abilities and the like

Is it possible for someone to not only be affected by the emotions of those around them and feel them (empathy), but then have those emotions cause the opposite effect in the empath? For example, if someone who is empathic is around a lot of happiness, is it possible for that to cause depression in them, and then if they're around a lot of sadness, anger, depression, etc. for them to start feeling better? What would cause that?

(Random thought after a discussion with a friend.)

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 6:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sounds more to me like the person is around a psychic vampire or maybe is trading emotional energy back and forth, especially if the anger, sadness, etc. are accompanied by feelings of physical exhaustion.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• A friend of mine is an empath and he never has an opposite reaction to the emotions around him...I guess it could be that way but I wouldnt understand how that would work. Sure gets me thinking though lol.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would only ever expect that from a psychic vampire.. if you are feeling drained of an emotion in the room then someone is for certain draining you of that energy...raising energy in a group (even laughter) should be uplifting for all members of the group.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 7:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• im empathic, people also say im a psychic vampire for some reason so i feel peoples energies but i also feed off them as well, i only feel people i care abouts energies/feelings, but i can feel everyone elses energies in general
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 7:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would have to agree with the geminilove. That is a psychic vampre. I am an empath and do not have opposing feelings of those around me.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• That sounds like a psychic vampire. When Im around ppl I feel their vibrations, read their auras, and even know about their past. Sometimes those emotions can rub off if I dont have proper protection, but not once have I ever felt joy from another's sorrow or anything like that. But, that is how I would describe a psychic vampire. They tend to feed from the vitality of another's life force (of (m)any kinds).

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I don't feel the opposite of what others do, either.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2010