a question for those in interracial marriages, with biracial children

I grew up in a small town.. corn everywhere, all caucasion people.. maybe 5 african americans have lived here from time to time.. thats it.. went to high school with 1 black person.. ONE. def. a small town. and i still live here now w/ my african american hubby.. i a caucasion child, he has a biracial child, and we have two biracial children together.. so of course, we are well known here in this town, but still get some funny looks.

all my family lives here, but my oldest is starting kindergarten next year.. ive been thinking about moving somewhere culturally more diverse. I really dont want my child to be known as the only "black kid" going to school.. she def takes after her daddys side.

those who are married interracially, do you have other interracial couples/girlfriends you can talk to? i know none obviously, and would really like to be somewhere where there are more people in my situation. i love this town, but anyone in my position find it would be easier for everyone esp my kids to go somewhere more diverse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids are half black...I am white their dad is black. Where we live its not a big deal and very common. I know a few interacial couples but they are not like close friends. I'd probably want to move to where its more diverse. Their dad is super picky that they go to a diverse school.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My best friend has biracial children and we have others in our life too so we are cool with it and has never had any problems at all we talk about everything.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 6:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I and married to a black man, have 2 half black/white DD's. My DH was in the Army for 20 years. We moved all over the place so we knew all types of families/couples. it does not really matter to me if the couple is the same race or different races. As long as they treat us right.

Answer by louise2 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I am white... hubby is black.. we have 1 son together.
    We live in Seattle where it is very diverse. We have all races, gender, and orientation
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My daughter was asked what her nationality was in school a couple times by other children. But they treat her fine, we live in Vegas so it is very diverse here.
    Just show the people you are nice and they should come around. If not move to southern california. I grew up in Redondo Beach and it is very diverse.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 6:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• oh everyone is very nice! i grew up here, my family did too, so they know all of us and everyone is nice.. im just thinking for my kids sake, it may be more beneifical if we are somewhere more diverse.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My husband is Hispanic, and where I'm from we don't have a Hispanic population so everyone assumed my daughter was Native American. Then we come down here to Mexico and everyone thinks my second daughter is a straight up caucasian because she doesn't have the black hair or tan complexion. It's funny really =P
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i would probably move somewhere a bit more diverse, but thats just me. we live in a very rural predominantly white town, but its also a college town so we have some diversity there. it IS nice to have friends who are in the same situation too so that you can have someone to relate to. i do think iracial children should atleast be regularly exposed to kids of a similar racial background because alot of times as the struggle with their identity through puberty they have trouble finding themselves and seek out others that can sympathize.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 9:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Dh is half black and I'm white. Dd doesn't really look black, but she is fairly dark. We did live up by Indy where it was more diverse. Now we are back in what I've always called, hillbilly hell lol. I know what was said about the one half black girl that I went to school with, and I know what people have said about dh. It's sad people are so backwords sometimes. I am just hoping we will be able to move somewhere else before dd starts school (shes only one). I don't want her exposed to the hatered that I have seen from this place.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2010