Is it bad to give an infant a bath every night?

My son is 4 months old and sleeps so much better if we keep the same routine (bath, books, bottle, bed.) I only wash him 2-3 times a week but he just likes to sit in the tub and "wind down." Should I find other methods for bedtime and skip the bath every night?

wyattsmomma77

Asked by wyattsmomma77 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope...I did it with my son every night and he is fine. Nothing wrong with that. But now I have trouble getting him out of the bath lol...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I never did but my daughter had excema. And her Dr told me not to give her a bath every night even before we had it.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You could but if he doesn't get his skin very dry because of the soap I don't think it would hurt him besides if that relax him its ok
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Thanks :) I think it just helps when an infant his age is on a set schedule so he knows after he plays in the bath and get jammies and lotion on he gets books, a warm bottle and is off to sleep with little or no fuss. Just wasn't quite sure if it's ok at a young age.
    wyattsmomma77

Comment by wyattsmomma77 (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• When my DD was an infant, her doctor told me not to give her a bath every night b/c the warm water is not good for their skin and drys them out and gives them excema.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have a messy baby that I have to bathe every day because we just get that dirty. I think babies are all "wash as needed" and winding down is part of "as needed"

Good nutrition and some lotion and powder will keep his skin perfect.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Giving babies a bath regularly isn't bad, My sons father is always complaining not to bathe him every day but it isn't bad at all. Unless ezcema is an issue, otherwise it is very relaxing for babies. :)
    AndyAyden

Answer by AndyAyden at 8:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I give my daughter one everynight because it winds her down :) she is just 5 months know and has had one pretty much everynight since day 1!!!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• they say not to give them baths every night b/c it could dry the skin, but if you bath them every night just don't use soap. thats what my ped told me. love baby bath time!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2010