Has anyone taught their kids sing language???

I am really interested in teaching my daughter sign lanuage. I was wondering too if there are any books that you my suggest that helped you teach your kids sign language?

KayliesMommy403

Asked by KayliesMommy403 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know a couple babies that do it, and I think it looks pretty neat as well. However, I've also noticed that some kids seem to think that if they can just sign that the want milk (for example), they don't learn to ask for it with words for a long time...so I'd be careful about that!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• There is a baby einstein video I think. But I agree with p.p. that It could delay speech.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I read the book Baby Signs. I haven't decided yet if we'll be doing baby signs with our son, but they are emphatic that all research points to an EARLIER onset of language development rather than a delay.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My DH and I taught only some signs- eat, drink, water, more, potty... Things that help us to know her NEEDS. I don't want to teach her everything in sign until she is speaking fluidly. She's not yet, but she picks up new words all the time. It doesn't delay speech at all. Sometimes she signs to me, sometimes she says it, sometimes I get both at the same time. I love it because it has helped avoid tantraums- I get her attention and say, "What do you need?" I sign and say, never just one or the other, and she tells me most of the time. The only downside? I think she made up a sign that only she knows the meaning to! I wish to HELL I knew what it meant because she does it every freaking day! lol
    Go to Americanbaby.com and register for their newsletter- in the top right-hand corner, it TEACHES you the simple signs. That's how we did it and my DD is glad to tell us EXACTLY what she needs.
    mommy2danica

Answer by mommy2danica at 5:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Oh, and for the person who said it encourages EARLIER speaking, I would say so- my DD, as I said doesn't speak FLUIDLY, but said her first word at 6 and a half months. Followed by her second 2 weeks later. Her third shortly after and so on... She has an overbite that is causing some problems with consistancy in her learning speed, but that had nothing to do with sign. In fact, since she has the overbite, I am REALLY glad we taught her "necessity" signs so she CAN communicate with us.
    mommy2danica

Answer by mommy2danica at 5:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I taught my son 3 signs, one at a time: more, please, thank you. He uses them too still, even though he can say the words.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I taught my DD some signs. We checked out some books from the library, quite a few of them were from the "toddler" section. They were the hard cardboard books and were very easy for her to read and understand. She was a late speaker, so I had to find something to help her communicate. WE learned: milk, more, bath, shoes, cookie, ball, share, thank you, please, up, eat, sleep, bed time, home, socks, cracker, apple, no,some of the numbers (they are different then what you think), thirty, drink, hot, play, and some more I can't think of right now. I even learned the alphabet. woo hoo!! it was very helpful though. I even connected with a few of the deaf community b/c they were impressed and interested why I was doing it.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I'm sure it just depends on the kid, too. One of my nephews signed but also learned the words for things (and stopped using the signs) at about 15 months, while another (who is over two) will use the sign but can't say the word.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• **thirty... i meant thirsty
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I did. It was very helpful.
    I really liked the videos in the My Baby Can Talk series. My daughter still asks for them every once in a while.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2008