What is a good breed of dog to get and why?

PA-PAGrandma

Asked by PA-PAGrandma at 7:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Pets

• Aussie. Smart dogs. Very caring. Good with kids.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 7:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have to say a chocolate lab (or any full blooded lab) would be a great choice of breed. They are smart, friendly, loyal, and great with kids. They love to swim, and be active, but are not high maintenance. I have a chocolate lab as a kid and he was my best friend. He was a great dog and was very mellow. We never had to even train him. He never once had an accident in the house, and he always did his business in the woods and never on the lawn. No other dog could ever live up to him!!!
    http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/index.cfm
    That is the website for information on AKC (American Kennel Club) Labrador Retrievers. I hope this helps you in your decision! You surely won't be disappointed!!!! :-)
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 7:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Labs - They are a good all around dog. I have had labs all my life and they have been protective but also most lovable dog with kids. You can train them and even hunt with them. I currently have 2 mixed labs. Black lab chow mix which can be a bit awnry at the age of 6 and a Yellow lab bull mastaf mix who is just over a year old and has proved to be the easiest trained and smartest of any of the labs I have ever had.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• We have a Basenji and a Pomeranian. I love both of them, but but I would recommend the Basenji a little more. They are known as the "barkless" dog...they will mimic other dogs, so if they are around dogs that bark a lot they will start to bark, but not annoyingly so. They "yodel" instead of bark. Mine sheds, but websites say that they don't. The kids that our's has been around, she's been great with...will come around and sniff but then walk away...once she gets used to them, she may come up and give them kisses.

They are hyper dogs and do need room to run, so if you have a small house and/or no backyard, then I don't recommend them, but our's is amazing!
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 7:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I meant to say that if you don't have a backyard and/or if you have a small house, I don't recommend them for the dogs sake...but I think they are awesome dogs...at least our's is!
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 7:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Golden retrievers~~Intelligent~~Great with kids~~very lovable
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• The Best Dog to get is Any Breed from the Shelter- It will be your Very Best Friend Forever:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Contact your local Humane Society and adopt a dog.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I love my pug and my Boston Terrier. They are fun and sweet dogs. The pug is a snuggler and my Boston is playful and wants to chase the ball. Both are very kid friendly but I think the pug loves small kids more.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Goldenn retriever. We had one for 13 years and he was great with everyone and everything. He helped raise kittens, he helped balance out rescue animals (i swear.. With each one, within a day they were following him around and we never had to train them. Our dog did), my mom ran a daycare inn the house, and he would let the kids climb all over him, he was amazing. Best dog ever.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2010