I have a 4 year old who is VERY curious about his Privates Any suggestions???

He plays with himself all of the time. He usually rubs is with a teddy bear. The same on everytime. We are VERY careful what he watches and what we do and say around him. I have talked to him about it, but I still catch him doing it. Any suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I told my boys (started about 4 too) that it was fine for him to touch his own private parts. but that it was a private thing. He should go to the bathroom or his bedroom to do it. He did. BTW..when they were 14 if we couldnt find them...guess where they were?..LMAO. It's normal don't worry too much. Don't make a big deal. You don't want him to feel like there is something wrong with it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• explain that its totally normal but its a private thing. don't discourage his curiosity, but discourage his public curiosity lol. good luck, delicate subject.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Thats a form of masturbation, children get stimulated just the same way adults do but we understand whats the outcome. Obviously he does it because it gives off pleasurable feelings, dont make a huge big deal about it if you tell him its "bad" he will continue to do it like being an outlaw of sorts, just deferr the situation, if he likes to do it when he takes a bath try taking a shower, if its in bed laying down maybe stay in the room and read a book until he falls asleep. and of course getting rid of the "teddy" thats filled with the habit of doing it. You must condition his mind to change the train of thought he has created but you cannot say its "bad" just encourage other behaviour when he starts to do it
    tainabxpr22

Answer by tainabxpr22 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I explain it just like with picking their nose. You don't do it in public if your going to do it but we'd prefer you not do it at all. Yes, you know it's there, you don't need to play with it. I think it's simply ingrown lol 4 or 34 they've got to touch it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Thats little boys for ya...I hink thats why god made are arms that long....it is normal and just the beginning.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 1:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• my son is close to 4 and does the same thing, his doctor said it was normal and that we should explain that its a private thing.
    lilmomma0408

Answer by lilmomma0408 at 4:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My son is the same way. I borrowed a book about all the reprodoctive areas in men and women and about growing bodies from the library. I also told him that it if he wants to touch himself it is okay, but that it should only be done in private.
    Dorfsmith

Answer by Dorfsmith at 10:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2008