Why do people who live like slobs take it so personally when you ask them to clean up after themselves?!

My roomate just FLIPPED out on my bf cause he said that I am not to clean up after them anymore.. I just took out 3 bags of trash...3!!!!!!!! there are 4 adults here. I already talked to my bf about his laziness, but either way he usually does the trash. well the roomie comes back with "we didnt ask her to take out th trash". thats not the point. we live in our bedroom cause the kitchen and living room has clothes, dishes, baby toys(which is ok) trash, everywhere.. its like they borderline HORDERS.... we cant ask them to leave cause it has to be done legally, and thats not really what we want. all we want is for them to clean up after themselves.. is that so much to ask????????????

sorry its not really a relationship question

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• When we had a roommate, pre baby, I started putting his dishes in his room, so the stink could stay in his room. LOL He got pissed but he started cleaning.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It absolutely is a relationship question. Other than that, living with roomates is kind of hard.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I think it is time to have a 'house meeting' and everyone who lives there sit down and talk about it the mess and what will be done to clean it and keep it clean. Do you have a chore chart or cleaning schedule? If not then it might be a good idea to either have each person pick chores (and maybe rotate them every so often), or assign certain chores to certain people (on a permanent basis). It would also be a good idea to set aside time each week as "cleaning time" and then everyone pitch in and get cleaning. You could also make it known that everyone MUST pick up after themselves, and in a timely manner. If not their 'mess' might end up someplace they don;t want it (like bag it up and dump it on their bed!). I would also let them know if the house cannot get clean and stay clean, there *might* be room-mate changes. (meaning either you go or they do). Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• thanks mizlee.. but they would laugh at the fact at a chore chart, saying they not kids. one is 31 the other is 35 with a 11 mnth old.. we looking to move but so far no one can take us in for a short time
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Some people are set in their ways and as hard as you may try to get them to do something as clean up after themselves for the good of everyone involved most of th time they just can't be bothered or they make up excuses why they can't.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It can be a lot of things..

1. They're ashamed of the way they live, so they're defensive when you bring it up. Yet they're unwilling to do anything about it, which makes them even more defensive.

2. They feel that because you do it that they don't have to do it. So they get defensive because you're making them responsible for their own mess.

3. They don't feel that there is a mess. Possibly.

There could be a number of reasons as to why they get upset when you call them out on their mess. Either way it's ridiculous for anyone to live in a disgusting house .. there's no reason at all it should be a mess.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Ugh. BIL and SIL used to live with us and they were the king and queen of dirty. They'd leave crap in the sink overnight that I'd have to cleanup in the morning (ANTS!), leave crap in their main area piled up, put garbage NEXT to the trash can they'd fill up because they were too lazy to change it. They actually had a friend stay overnight one night and I was doing dishes and she said, "So you're the "clean" girl huh?" Good lord, I'm the "clean" girl. Hell yeah. Fine, make fun of me, she was the one who had to go upstairs and sleep on their couch of filth!

Solution - they finally moved out! Thank God!
    Anonymous

• yeah if you saw their room you would puke!!! u cant walk in there without walking on something. and i have left their dishes once for a while and finally on the 6th day. i had enough of the filth and did it.. my bf was like what are you doing? im like i cant do this.. i was not raised to live like a PIG
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• just tell them

Answer by admckenzie at 9:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I THINK YOU NEED TO HAVE A CLEANING SCHEDULE AND CERTAIN THINGS IT SHOULD BE YOU USED IT CLEAN IT LIKE FOR DISHES
    19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2010