Anyone naive in your family always giving un-needed advice?

Why do people try to give others advice when they have no idea where they are coming from?

I love when my family or others give me advice on things that they've never experienced. So naive..... I asked the question about visiting a child's grave earlier b/c of my sis-in-law saying it was creepy, how dare her! She never lost a child.

I'm so sick of no it alls.... aren't you?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Just for Fun

• My mom is the know-it-all of ALL know-it-alls.

My boyfriend comes from another country.
    My mom tried to tell ME how immigration works.
    I was like "Uh, no, Mom. It doesn't work that way."
    And then she proceeded to tell me that I didn't know anything.
    *sigh*
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Well, sure, but there will always be people like that. Everyone likes to give their 2 cents, you know? So try not to let it bother you. Instead just respond with, "Thank you. That's interesting advice, but in my experience..."
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Mine is actually my sister's boyfriend. He thinks he knows everything about everything. He and my husband actually got into it one day while out at lunch when DD was about 4 months old. He wanted to give her a piece of ham out of his salad and my husband said no because she couldn't chew it and also they recommend not to give babies meat before about 8-9 months. He said that he did it all the time, that his nieces and nephews were fine and that she needed the meat for protein. This went on until everyone at the table was telling the BF that he was wrong and that he needed to respect our wishes for our child. Even my SS who loves this guy told him he was wrong and that I was the mommy and that DH was the daddy and we knew best.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Oh also, my stepdad thinks he's a fountain of knowledge.

This is funny in retrospect, but we once had a HUGE argument over who Kate Hudson's dad was. He swore up and down that it was Kurt Russell. I said he was NOT her father, that Tony Hudson was. Where else would she have gotten her last name?! Well, he basically told me that I was completely wrong and that he wouldn't accept anything else.

I ended up pulling up her IMDB page and showing him the proof that her dad is indeed Tony Hudson. He still doesn't believe it and believes to this day that Kurt Russell is her dad.

*sigh*
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• ugh i agree... my boyfriend's (nick) mom is the sweetest person you'd ever meet, but she's sooo ANNOYING! i respect her advice, but it's so... un-needed. For example-- when we took my first home and I was changing her, she was all down my throat-- "USE THE POWDER!! JUST A BIT-- NO, NOT LIKE THAT!!!"
    also, half of my boyfriend's and mine's friends are from some other country besides America and a few were illegal immigrants (caitxrawks-- can relate to you on this one) and my brother is all trying to tell me about immigrants and everything and I'm just like "Uhm... no, it's different then that." and he goes on saying "whatever i'm smarter and blah blah blah".
    *sigh* but i still love 'em
    Emma1017

Answer by Emma1017 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yep, my grandma. Most of the advice she's given me are all no-no's from what my doc said. Thank God she's not a doctor!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Oh, lord, my grandma is nuts. My SO is half Japanese and I always assumed everyone knew it (even though he's not strikingly Japanese looking, you can still tell) because we went to school together our entire lives and its a small town without a lot of diversity...anyway, when we first got together, I made some comment about him being half Japanese, and my grandma said "Oh he is not". lol...oh. His mom sure puts on a good show!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• OH ANOTHER ONE!

My boyfriend and I went out to eat at a Mexican restaurant with his family. You know how they put chips and salsa on the table? Well, I LOVE chips and salsa, lmao. I had eaten like ten chips before his aunt started freaking out and telling me that spicy stuff was HORRIBLE for my baby. She only speaks Spanish, so I could only nod and smile and say "Okay." I kept eating chips even though she told me that. She probably thinks my baby is going to be deformed or something xP
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• MY SISTER!!!! this one takes the cake. i should tell you that she is 3 years older than me, her first child is partial custody and her second was put for adoption. she is constantly giving me childcare advice. telling me how to discipline my well behaved 3 year old while she has the 2 year old from hell. her new thing is about how formula feeding is so much better and healthier and easier etc. and why would i choose to breastfeed my baby. she lives with my parents and hasnt had to do it alone, my husband works at 4am and she always tells me i have it easy cause i am married! argh! i could go on for days, but ill stop myself.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2008