ideas for effective punishments for children 5 and under.

I'm trying to set down solid rules for my two boys ages 3 and 5. I am also trying to set consistent punishments for when they disobey. I am running into a problem though. I can't think of a quick effective punchment for when they act out when we are in public such as at a store, ect. I'm doing time outs at home and don't want to spank. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• spanking is the only quick effective punishment for like the store or something. works great. for my kids anyway. they throw fits at home, but when they're at the store, they know better lol. momma's more quick on the butt in public than i am at home...at home i just let them at it and then talk to them when they're done. when i'm out, i don't have time to deal with it. they've learned :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You can still use time outs at a store, I have.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 8:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• With my boys we have rewards charts for different things. And if they do certain things (like sitting in the buggy, or staying with you while shopping etc) they will get a reward. Anything from a trip to the park to a favorite character sticker. And before you go where ever it is you are going, you lay out the expected behaviors and rules prior to entering the store. And you remind them when they begin to "act up" of what reward awaits them if they follow the rules. It works for my two. But you really have to find something that motivates them, and it may be different for each child. I have one that wants to travel a special way home while the other wants his Toy Story 3 sticker! You will have to tweak it, but it's been very effective for me! GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2010