Racism

Have any of you experienced racism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have. I was told I would not be hired for a job, even thought I was qualified, and they would like to hire me, but they needed to hire someone "of color" because they wanted to be more racially diverse.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• ***I have. I was told I would not be hired for a job, even thought I was qualified, and they would like to hire me, but they needed to hire someone "of color" because they wanted to be more racially diverse.

Both my husband and I have run into this constantly. Even a good work history and experience can't overcome skin color it would seem.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Yes. As an Indian American (not American Indian) growing up in the 60's & 70's I experienced more than my fair share of racism.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• IDK. I have a black friend that refers to white people as 'your kind' when she is talking to me. LOL. I don't know why I think it's funny, I guess I just don't offend easily. I believe I was called a 'cracker' when I live in North Florida. Being from Montana, I had no idea what a cracker was, but again wasn't offended. I have also been called 'white bread', again - no offense taken.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• If you want to see what real racism was before the 1960's, just put in the name of Emmit Till in google or yahoo.

look what they did to that 14 year old boy.

If you have a weak stomach, you won't want to look at the pictures.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have and it still exists today.
    I would not have made it through the slavery or Martin Luther King Days!
    Especially since I have married outside of my race and have a mixed child.

Heck I was born in Biloxi Ms. in 1970 and my birth certificate to this day has Negro typed in for my race.
    1happyeverafter

Answer by 1happyeverafter at 11:40 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• No. At least not that I'm aware of!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Nope, I have never experienced it myself, but I have seen it happen to others numerous times. I'm white, BTW
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I was one of 20 white students in a high school of 1500 minority students. People assumed that I was racist if I didn't agree with them, or wouldn't make eye contact, or even just because I'm white. Racism... no matter what color you are... makes the hater look ignorant. All racism makes me shake my head...no matter who is doing it.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Actually, yes, I have. It's angering and discouraging to have someone think that he or she knows how you think or believe or feel or act a certain way just because of the melanin content in your skin. I nearly left my career over it. Instead, I changed districts and worked for several more years.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2010