Have anyone's child done a hearing test/ARB Re: speech development?

I am concerned about my son Raheem speech development. I spoke to his pedi about this and he told be to do a hearing test. I called the place that he had reffered me to and they told me he will have to do a ARB test which invalued him having to be sedated(I am very concerned about this procedure). So hence my question.....

JAgirl

Asked by JAgirl at 4:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I haven't heard of that test, but we had a hearing test on my DD. they did a vibration test and beep test, and the doctor looked at her ears with a "specialty" tool. But I would be concerned if they had wanted to sedate her. That just doesn't seem right.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• dont let them do that
    they dont need to
    at one yr my son's hearing was tested, it was very kid friendly, akron general hospital if you are in ohio. there are other options.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• How old is he?
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 9:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My daughter went to ENT at 15 months (is going back next week for a follow up). They did a hearing test w/o having to knock her out. They made a noise on one side and if she looked at that direction, a big teddy bear light up to reward her. She's got good hearing, but we go back b/c she's had another ear infection. Maybe call a different doc to see about other options.
    Anonymous

• Contact early intervention services to have his speech evaluated. Evals are free. Good luck.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 12:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Yes yes yes, we had Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) come out and test her too. You can find the number for your local one in your state on the internet. they were great and they came to our house and tested her for free. It was great!!
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 8:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Thank you all for your answers/suggestions.................but I have a big prob.........I do not live in the US......so I do not have access to such previleges.....I live in Jamaica.....:).............. My son Raheem is 22 months will be 23 months on the 11th of Nov...............well I will just call around and ask around to see if I can get a better option.........I will not sedate my son plus this procedure is very costly............I will just wait and see........
    JAgirl

Answer by JAgirl at 5:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• There should be other ways to test your son; however, the BAER is very accurate. We did it, but my daughter was an infant, so I just nursed her to sleep before the test.

My audiologist started booth testing with her on my lap around six months, but that was because we already had the BAER results and were watching for confirmation of results, not trying to find out if she had a loss.

I think that audiologists that are not comfortable working with children don't like to do booth testing with them.

I do know several people who had the sedated BAER testing done and everything went well. They needed to do it because of conflicting test results.
    lauraslefthook

Answer by lauraslefthook at 1:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2008