Do You Know what "combined" means?

I get tired of the blatant lie that this Congress has increased the debt more than the previous ones combined. Do you all know the definition of combined?
combine - aggregate: gather in a mass, sum, or whole
compound: combine so as to form a whole; mix; "compound the ingredients"

Please look it up, people. The current congress has added 3.2 Trillion (yes, ridiculous) to the COMBINED TOTAL OUTSTANDING of 10.2 trillion.

Get it?

ETA:  Yes, I see I was adding a random one to the assertion I was combating!  I still say the point is moot...debt spending increases have been exponential except for during the Clinton years...sadly enough! 

stacymomof2

Asked by stacymomof2 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Whoops, 10.6 trillion.
    stacymomof2

Comment by stacymomof2 (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• is the 10.6 trillion current debt or the spending?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 8:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

_________________
    Sorry! Debt is what I am talking about. Please edit my question and substitute "debt spending" for "spending."
    stacymomof2

Comment by stacymomof2 (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Don't we have debt b/c the government spent more money than we had? So our accrual of debt would not reflect our actual spending?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 8:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Pssssst, OP- the statement from the article was this"The federal government has accumulated more new debt--$3.22 trillion ($3,220,103,625,307.29)—during the tenure of the 111th Congress than it did during the first 100 Congresses combined, according to official debt figures published by the U.S. Treasury.". With emphasis on NEW DEBT figures for each Congress. You didn't read the ENTIRE article, did you? There is a difference between NEW debt and TOTAL National debt .... Keep digging, it's quite entertaining.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

__________________________-
    I believe you are correct! Oftentimes the gov must borrow money when tax revenues are down, as in 2008-2009. Therefore the correlation is not exact. However the point I am making is referring to the oft repeated assertion that this admin has spent more than than all previous admins combined. The word "Combined" is what I am refuting, of course the budget for fiscal year 2010 is not even more than fiscal year 2008 and 2009 combined, much less ALL budgets combined.
    stacymomof2

Comment by stacymomof2 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• With emphasis on NEW DEBT figures for each Congress. You didn't read the ENTIRE article, did you? There is a difference between NEW debt and TOTAL National debt .... Keep digging, it's quite entertaining.
    _____________________________________
    Yes I did read it. So put up the numbers. Add up the total NEW debt for the 110th and 109th congress. Add the two numbers together. Is it MORE than the total new debt for the 111th congress? Go ahead, put up the numbers, since you cannot see that the current debt has increased comperably, certainly not an increase more than all combined. It stands to reason that thecurrent outstanding debt is a reasonable number reflecting past debt, right? And the outstanding debt is MUCH LARGER than the increasing debt for the current congress. So what are you talking about. Put up the numbers, show me where I'm wrong.
    stacymomof2

Comment by stacymomof2 (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Okay ... so I understand what you are saying, but isn't the assertion made that our new debt is greater than our accrued debt?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 9:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• What you don't get is that it says the first 100 congresses. It leaves out nine. You will have to argue it with the treasury dept. But I realize you are smarter than they are.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• but isn't the assertion made that our new debt is greater than our accrued debt?
    ________________________
    That is the MISTAKEN assertion I keep reading over and over. Obviously not true as evidenced by the actual numbers! Accrued debt=10.6 trillion. New debt = 3.2 trillion. Which number is bigger? This point has been proven wrong numerous times. I get sick of hearing it!
    stacymomof2

Comment by stacymomof2 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2010