Dance movies

Is anyone else frustrated with the dance movies especially ballet? I am so excited to see "Black Swan" because the ballet is actually legit. I don't think dance gets a fair shake anymore. No one wants to work hard to become the prima ballerina, they want hip hop, b-boy/girls, and krumping, ect, which I have nothing against but ballet should get just as much exposure as the rest for the styles.  This is probably more of a rant, but I just a huge ballet fan, and have always wished I could have studied more.

LadybugTash

Asked by LadybugTash at 8:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Entertainment

• Welcome to my world! The arts in general seem to be slowly dying. When's the last time you heard a teenager say that they like classical music or even know how to read music? Everything today seems to be about illusions, tricks, and instant gratification. Well, that's not Ballet, Ballet is a lifestyle. It's not easy and if you don't love it it's not fun. But if you do love it it becomes your life. Ballet will forever be a part of who you are, soul, body, and spirit.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• They make movies based on what people will pay to see. Not as many people--especially young people, which make up a large percentage of moviegoers--want to see ballet as other, more "fun" types of dancing. The same reason they don't go to the actual ballet.
    Anyway, you should be happy now, with Black Swan having been released...right?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Most Americans are not cultured enough these days to be interested in ballet and opera...it's the general dumbing down of our society, IMO. Brain candy, that's what they want...I'm guilty of it sometimes too.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Oh, yeah I can't wait to see it. I'll probably wait til it's on on DVD, I already know I'm going to buy it. But why are kids not as interested now? My sister, my friends, and I were so in love with the ballet. What happened?

LadybugTash

Comment by LadybugTash (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I like the way you put that "brain candy" lol. Your statement makes a lot of sense. Do you have kids? How old are they? Do you take them places to become better 'cultured'?  That's really too bad about the opera too, my younger sister actually just got a part in an upcoming show with the Seattle opera.  It's a shame to think most of her friends won't see it.

LadybugTash

Comment by LadybugTash (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My kids are 7 and 9 year old girls, and I do try to expose them to an array of different experiences, everything from silly cartoons to art galleries, town fairs to science museums. They read quite a bit, especially my older daughter, and we go to the library quite regularly. I want them to be well-rounded.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I love dancing, and like to watch dance movies
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 7:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Okay, I went to see Black Swan and loved it. Not just because the dancing is pretty fantastic but also because it explained the ballet Swan Lake better and really talked more about the character Odette. Yes, I will own it.

LadybugTash

Comment by LadybugTash (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011