Severe Pain in knees and ankle in a 3 yr old?!

My 3 yr old boy, just woke up screaming and crying(to the point of almost hyperventalating) saying his knees hurt(he said leg but pointed to knee). And a week and a half ago my mother said he did this about his ankle. I called her tonight and she heard him crying and said it was the same type of crying as before. I tried rubbing the joints but he said it hurt and didn't help. We had problems with mild pain in same areas and doc thought it was just growing pains, but this is way worse.

He fell asleep and wasn't running a fever, and I gave him some ibuprofen, so I plan on calling the doc first thing tomarrow to get an appt.

Anyone have any similar experiences or problems? Any idea? I'm a little freaked out and worried. :( Poor baby

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like he might have jumped off of something and hurt his knee and ankle.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Is there any swelling? Is the joint warm or red to the touch? If he continues to complain see the Pediatrician. I have 2 neices diagnosed with juvenile arthritis before their 5th birthday. Rule out medical issues first.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I pretty sure he didn't hurt it, plus he said that both knees were hurting. He felt warm all over, but I didn't notice any swelling. What worries me is that I have Psoriatic Arthritis and do have very much swelling but a lot of pain. I'm just worried that he may have inherited it from me(it is genetic they believe).

He was wreathing in pain until he fell asleep, I almost took him to the ER, but we are in the middle of blizzard conditions.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• With your history I would have him at the Dr. as soon as weather permits. In the meantime I'd start with childrens motrin every 8 hrs. NSAIDS will reduce pain and inflammation.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Thanks GrnEyedGrandma, I gave him some motrin and he is asleep, but I will definately be calling his pediatrician and going in tomarrow. I am now 100% sure its not growing pains now.

Poor thing just got an inhaler(haven't started it yet) to treat a cough that may be asthma, he's not having much luck lately.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• (((you both))) My grandson is medically fragile. He tests my nursing skills all the time :)
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• did he start walking earlier than normal? like around 8-9 months?? this happened with my nephew and he got those pains, and the dr said it was a type of growing pains, because he was walking to soon. with my nephew it was soo sad, as im sure it is with your child, hed be running aroung playing, have a great old time, then hed pretty much just fall to the ground, crying in so much pain!! hope your lil man gets better soon!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• my parents and myself have done this for yrs.............take a emptty 3 liter bottle fill with warm water and rest under the knees and ankles it sooths the pain

iamthekey

Answer by iamthekey at 5:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Just what are growing pains. My mother always told me that was what was wrong with me, but should growing hurt?
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:11 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my 4 year old gets the same exact pains and his is from growing pains!! ive had him tested for the other stuff but it all came back negative....
    it could be brittle bones,but you have to get that tested before you start thinking its what it is....
    he could have sprained/fractured his knee/ankle really bad...
    take him to the doctor and find out....i know its scary because you dont know how to help him,ive been there......just get him checked out....keep your head up mama....everything will be fine....it sucks seeing your baby in pain like that!! the growing pains hurt my son so badly that when he cries,there is NO emotion on his face because of the pain!! just tears and the look of pain.....all i can do is give him medicine,rub his legs from top to bottom till he says stop! i stay by his side thru the night and when he wakes up i ask him how he is and he is always better than before!! just get him looked at.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010