ADHD? What are ways to deal with a preschooler with ADHD without using meds?

I'm thinking my 4 yr old may have ADHD. My husband has it and my 4 yr old seems to be the same as he was. my mil suggested to have a routine with him to help his behavoir. Anyone have any suggestions or tips. I still need to get him tested for it. i think you do it through regional center?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would do the schedule thing i heard it works.

I heard that doctors like when you make a chart of what you did that day.
    What he had for breakfast,lunch,dinner and snacks, what times he did things, what reaction you got threw the day, and tantrums and such.

HANNAHSMOMMY25

Answer by HANNAHSMOMMY25 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Dr. Masquilier O.P.C's all natural supplement I give it to my son with ADD. Also stop the sugar intake!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I'm an early childhood teacher and I do not believe in medicating kids for ADHD. One thing that has been known to work is different foods.. Some kids are really hyper when they have eaten something with red dye in it.. Or my own child cant eat peanut butter because he gets out of control.. so might want to try different foods..
    crgarcia294

Answer by crgarcia294 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Last year when my granddaughter started kindergarten, the teacher thought she should be tested. We consulted with her Dr. and she referred her to a "play therapist". She met with her for most of the school year. At the end of the year, she told us she thought my granddaughter had really not shown any improvement. So, because it was the end of the year, we waited to see how she did during the summer. We decided not to medicate. Instead, we found a teacher that worked with children who either have been diagnosed with ADHD or were a potential. This first grade teacher told us granddaughter is doing just fine for any child her age. She says there is no evidence of ADHD. My granddaughter is actually excelling this year! Sometimes I think it's normal childhood behavior, and that they just have to mature a bit. I would wait to see how he does in school. Also, make sure you monitor the situation greatly.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• ok...so cut out sugar. I'm also trying to go dairy free for awhile because I suspect he may be lactose intolerant.
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• ok I maybe should start journaling his behavoir and diet then,..... this wil be a challenge for me.... but I will do my best! lol
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have heard that Chamomile tea will help calm them down.... I actually drink it everyday and it helps my nerves, as I have a lot of nervous energy......
    I buy the actual chamomile flowers in the herb section in my store...... I put about 2 tlbs. of the chamomile into a cup and then add boiling water to the cup with the flower in it.... I stir it, then let it steap......or let it set for about 10 minutes.... soaking........ then I take a small metal strainer and pour the flower into the strainer and pour the colored water back into the cup...... I mix honey and fresh lemon into the water for a better taste.................It really calms me down a lot!!
    It will not hurt you....... It is approved by the FDA and I drink it every day.... It also helps me to sleep better.
    pink-ice

Answer by pink-ice at 9:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• ok... I need to add chamomile to my diet as well lol :) thanks for the suggestion!
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My son is 4 and has ADHD. We think he's much too young to even think about medication right now. SO, play therapy, behavior modification, a TSS for school and Occupational therapy for sensory stuff.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• ur doctor will explain testing do not try any med b4 age 5 . the first 5 yrs children develop thier personalities and all adahd meds effect this . for adhd try a little sugar like a piece of candy iif child is adhd it sould calm them down if child is add sit next to them to help keep them on track this sould atleast ease your mind and give u a better idea of how to handle without druging them

iamthekey

Answer by iamthekey at 5:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2010