How do you decide

How do you choose what religion to follow or believe in? How do you know that your chosen religion is correct? Did you choose your religion or is it what was taught to you as a child and you continued as an adult?

sheloveearth

Asked by sheloveearth at 9:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• How do you choose what religion to follow or believe in? I researched it, and it feels right and brings me peace. 
    How do you know that your chosen religion is correct? I don't... no one does!!
    Did you choose your religion or is it what was taught to you as a child and you continued as an adult? I switched when I got older and could find my own way.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My mom took me to a Protestant church, but she encouraged us to explore religions. I've asked questions of people of all religions, attended different places of worship and studied different religions.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I was raised Christian and have stayed Christian. It just feels right to me.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It's no different than picking a husband. You give it your best shot. Sometimes it works out great. Other times you just have to go your own way. Such is life.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I was going to answer all of your questions but the first poster nailed it lol.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• How to choose :research, experience, participate in many different religions.

How do you know you picked the one that is right for you: it feels right. The right beliefs "speak" to you, they touch you, they make sense to you. You find peace, solace, guidance, love, advice, wisdom etc in that belief. You believe with 100% of your being in that path, and you are willing to follow the beliefs/tenants of that path with 100% of your being.

How do you know the one you chose is correct : there is no such thing as a correct or incorrect religion/belief/spiritual belief. There is only the one that is "correct" for each and every individual (for some that is even the choice of non-belief). Each individual knows if the beliefs they have chosen to follow are correct for them or not.

I was raised Hindu, I'm married into a Sikh household/family. I'm active in both religions. However, I follow no 1 single religion at this point in life.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 10:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I feel that what pulls at your heart isn't really a choice in regards to religion and spirituality. Either the path is right for you or it isn't. I feel that you can't force yourself to believe in something any more than you can force yourself to stop believing in something. You educate yourself in different beliefs. You pray, meditate, reflect, whatever it is that is needed. You go where your heart pulls you, and there you will find your path. And I believe that every person's path is there own and is valid, because I believe that God exists in all. And because of that, there is no right or wrong path.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Pray and ask God yourself..
    ObiRenKenobi

Answer by ObiRenKenobi at 10:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You choose based on what your heart, soul, and brain say to you. Listen to yourself, to your heart...it wont steer you wrong.

You read on various beliefs and paths, you write down a list of what you know you absolutely believe in and what you absolutely dont believe and go from there on which paths to study. You allow yourself to be open to the guidance that comes from various sources and know that the choose is ultimately up to you and when you find where you are supposed to be you will be filled with a great peace throughout your entire being.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I can only speak for myself on this one. How do you choose? I'm not sure that I did. I remember having certain ideas about God (pantheism, in essence) even as a very small child. I wasn't raised in a really religious household- I assumed these things were congruent with Christianity but, when I decided to read the Bible as a teen, I found that they were not. In my late teens/early twenties I was really excited to discover the Dharmic faiths because they were so much closer to what I had always believed to be true even in childhood. I now practice Buddhism because it makes sense to me, it is a positive lifestyle for me and has made me much happier and more peaceful. I don't worry whether it's the 'right' path or not because I don't believe there is any one right path for everyone- I know it is the right path for me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2010