ahhhh! why did my daughter do this?

So, I was making dinner when my oldest daughter comes running into the kitchen to tell me that my youngest was eating her poop! I of course ran in the toy room and there she sat. Big handful and all. She is 17 months old...why would she do this?!

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She was just playing in it.....Right??!!!
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 9:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• ewwww.....my middle child use to play in herpoop...so not fun! On the plus side she potty trained easy....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• She was getting ready to eat it! I almost threw up! I quickly put her in and tub and washed her up and brushed her teeth.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• uff I have no idea but she is not the only one I googled your question and seems at that age they would do that http://allnurses.com/general-nursing-student/my-baby-ate-317518.html
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• She has no idea what it is and to her it's no different than anything else that little ones stick in their mouth.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My daughter and cousin did the same thing! Def gross but def normal LOL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• They still learn with their mouth at 2 its curriosity and it'll pass I promise.
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• She's just curious. Toddlers at this age are particularly curious about different textures..poop included.

Let her know that it's icky, but don't shame her about it.

My daughter went through a 6 month stage where she would literally paint her walls and crib with poop. She even knew that it was gross. I would catch her and she'd say "I'm sorry Mommy, my bed is yucky".

They grow out of it.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• sidesplittinglaughterOh... welcome to motherhood! Both of my kids do that.. it's totally normal. Think about it from her POV; she doesn't know what it is or that it will taste horrible. She has to find out for herself. It won't kill her. My kids have put all kinds of stuff in their mouths: poop, tissues, boogers, dirt, cigarette butts, hair, lint, soap, tub water, and raw meat.  I had a heart attack the first few times, but then I got over it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't LET them do it, but if it happens before you can reach them, or behind your back, it can only make their immune system stronger.  Best wishes, mama!

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Normal. Gross, but normal. Don't worry. :)
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 11:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2011