Has anyone had a HBAC (home birth) after a c-section?

I had my baby in May 2007 via c-section....I am preggo again and was looking into a home birth.....so I'm looking for anyone with experience. I was always told that I'd have to have another c-section but I really don't want one. The only hospital that would do a VBAC is about 2 hours away. I found a local midwife who does home births, but I admit, I'm frightened. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well in order to have a home birth I think you have to live close enough to a hospital encase anything happens you can get there quick enough.
    jasiramommy

Answer by jasiramommy at 5:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• the thing is after a c-section you uterus is likely to rip were the cut was made.. that is the major factor to vbac I would def go to a hospital then..
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 5:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I agree b/c a lot of VBAC's fail and an emergency c-section needs to be done. I'd also be scared. So make sure there is a hospital around and make sure they are aware of the POSSIBILITY that you might come in. I'd also ask the midwife if she's done home births after a c-section
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Have faith, your body was MENT to have the baby naturally. I was a VBAC and I failed because my doctor (along with plenty of interventions, including breaking my water) did not believe that I could and would not let me progress farther than 7 cent in 4 hours. There was nothing wrong with me or my baby. I don't know about HBAC, per se, but I do know that CafeMom has groups dedicated to debunking all the misinformation. You have a right, and they can help you figure it out. Let me know if you need anything and I can help you figure it out, I do think that they are right that you have to be somewhat close to a hospital, but otherwise a VBAC should NOT be out of range.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Why were you told you'd have to have another c-section? Some women aren't good candidates for VBAC, I'm just wondering if that's you since they already told you that you would need one...
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• When I was doing my research on the topic when I was pregnant (baby boy is 2 months now!) I found a stat that said that you are 6 times more likely to have a Fake doctor than a Uterine rupture....it all ends up being money, and scare tactics....please if you need anything....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• im preggo....i have to get another c-s.....as long as my little one ...is alright...i wouldnt care how she is born
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I wasn't told, I just heard that they'll most likely do another c-section. I honestly don't know why I wouldn't be a good candidate for a VBAC....my blood pressure did get high about a week before my c-section (which wasn't planned - I went to the hospital for the stress test and they told me shortly after, that they wanted to do the c-section), I had pretty good swelling of the feet and ankles for the last month or two. Other than that, I had a really easy pregnancy.

I will look into it some more. Thank you for your responses!
    Anonymous