Nursing Strike - Could he be done nursing?

My 10 1/2 month old has been nursed from day one. Now he's on solids and nurses about 4-5 times a day and sometimes gets a bottle before bed instead of nurses. Sunday morning, he nursed like a champ. That was the last time. He has refused my breast every time I've tried. I've tried different settings, times, etc. We tried a bottle a couple of times and he just chews the nipple. He's not very good at drinking from a cup, so we've been giving him milk from a syringe along w/trying the cup. He got his first teeth at 3-months. I know he could be teething BUT he has NEVER gone this long w/o nursing. He doesn't seem to be in pain from ear infections, etc. From your experience, could he have just weaned himself? Do they stop so abruptly? It is just so unexpected and I'm having a bit of an issue dealing with it.

have2travel

Asked by have2travel at 5:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep offering the breast! It really just sounds like a nursing strike and trust me: those seem to last and last! However, it's very unlikely that your child is ready to stop.

Also, at this age: sometimes they are discovering new tricks and stepping on new milestones. This can also distract them from the boob. In any case: hang in their! Here are a few useful articles and links:

http://www.llli.org//NB/NBNovDec92p173.html
    http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/nursingstrike.html
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I agree, it sounds like a strike. That's not really how self-weaning happens, plus he's really young to be self-weaning.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Keep trying mama sounds like a strike
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My son is 9 months and he is doing the exact same thing. I have just been doing solids and formula from a sippy cup. I would recommend the Nuby brand sippy cups because the milk only comes out if the top is squeezed/ bitten, so it works great. I am still offering the breast all the time just in case he wants it, and sometimes he will take it. I have also been pumping every once in a while to keep my supply up.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Thanks for all of the input. It's been about 3 days and still no interest in a bottle or nursing. I've accepted the fact that he may be done and we might have to introduce formula w/my milk. I'm not pumping as much as he needs during the day. However, I still try to offer him my breast at times he would normally nurse. I went ahead and made a Dr. appt for tomorrow just in case it is something else, like an ear infection. I think more than anything, I just want to know that he's okay and the reason why he stopped nursing. Then, we can get on with things. I have to say that before becoming a mom, I would have never thought that this would bother me. Those little ones really change things!
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 3:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2008