Just sawed off the top of my thumb with a bread knife. Any kitchen disasters for you?

I was cutting a bagel in half for my son. It was a serrated bread knife, really sharp. I took off the whole top of my thumb but the skin flap in still attached and drooping over my nail. I neosporin'ed and bandaged it and popped a viciodin. This hurts =(

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 10:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Health

• ouuuuch!! i was once washing the inside of a glass, and it broke and sliced right at my knuckle..but that doesnt sound as bad as yours..hope it feels better soon!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I was making spaghetti a few weeks ago and while draining the boiling water I missed the strainer and poured it all over my hand. It hurt so bad. I had to eat dinner with an ice pack on it! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My mom did that. She was washing the inside of a glass and it shattered. But it sliced up her entire hand and we had to rush to the E.R.
    And thank you =)
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• dumped off the table a bowl of oatmeal right out of the microwave on my lap 1st degree burns on my thighs and hoohaa(crotch)
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have done that. I was using a very sharp potato peeler and it cut off the tip of my finger and half of my nail. It was horrible, but healed quickly. Just keep it covered for the first few days.

I also one time slammed my fingers in a car door. My first two fingers were extremely bruised and the tip of the bone actually broke on one of them. My son's third birthday party was the next day and I had to cut an entire flat of strawberries for his cake. It was HORRIBLE.

Hope your finger heals soon and doesn't hurt too much!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• owww!!
    I have a few... one time I decided to bake some chicken.... when I was going to pull it out of the oven I somehow fell into the pan and burned my stomach pretty bad.
    I've also sliced the palm of my hand really bad from a can I opened...It was from my pinky to my middle finger... horrible!!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• When I was much younger, I was helping out at my uncle's store and was slicing bologna for him, and sliced off the end of my thumb, just a piece of skin. Went to hospital, they reattached it, and I still have a scar, but it's fine. I do remember the pain. Are you sure it doesn't need to be checked out by a doctor?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You're not along. I just heard a stastic the other day about how many thousands of Bagel injuries there are each year. Sorry I don't remember the exact number.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Really? How bizarre! I suppose it's the shape of the item, the angle at which it much be cut,and the sharpness of the instrument.

Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• OUCH !!! I havent had any lately and dont want to either,LOL.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 1:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2010