Goldfish....do they have diseases that people can get?

My 2 year old loves to put her fingers in the fish tank and let our goldfish nibble at, and swim through her fingers. She likes to do it every night right before she feeds them. It's her way of telling them goodnight. I always wash her hands afterward, but is there any kind of diseases I should be worried about? I know turtles can have salmonella.

badgirl44654

Asked by badgirl44654 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Pets

• Make sure to wash her hands and use lots of soap. My daughter feed the turtle out of her hands so I tell her was it off good. (she is a teen)
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Not that I have heard of. Just keep a bottle of sanitizer near by and she'll be fine.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I used to keep goldfish, and haven't heard of anything. I know they can get different fungal infections from other fish. Generally because the other fish was introduced into the community and came from an unhealthy tank. Now, I've never heard of these infections passing to people, but I can't say for certain. I'd say just do some research on goldfish, and continue to have her wash up after interacting with her fish.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 11:06 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Not that I've ever heard of. My grandfather used to keep koi fish when I was little and I remember letting them nibble on my fingers all the time. I would just have her wash her hands with soap when she's done.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Hm, that doesn't sound too healthy for the fish. I would ask at the pet store. Good luck.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2011