Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent, Do You Make It?

I've been researching it and saw people making their own powdered laundry detergent. Mostly because they want to cut down the chemicals, but I did a search on washing soda and borax- 2 most common ingredients. Found the chemical names and did a search washing soda is Sodium Carbonate, and borax is Sodium Borate. The company I found selling them is a chemitry supply company, and both have material safety data sheets (MSDS) with them, so they really are chemicals. They both say to flush eyes if you get it in your eyes, don't get on clothing, don't breathe in the dust, etc. Not really a question I guess, but thought you should be aware of this, if you're interested at all. Here is the borax MSDS link: http://www.cqconcepts.com/chem_sodiumborate.php and here is the link for the washing soda MSDS: http://www.cqconcepts.com/inc/inc_print_sodiumcarbonate.html Seems to be no better than buying laundry detergent at the store, I'm sure those are the top 2 ingredients for commercial detergents as well.

badgirl44654

Asked by badgirl44654 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Health

• Yes we use Nefelda(sp?) soap bar grated, Washing soda, Borax. Works great.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• bump

Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 10:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Two chemicals seems a lot better than the 5 or 6 chemical plus perfume and other additive ingredients in store bought detergent. Besides everyone that I know makes their own laundry detergent to save money.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• The one I make is liquid but it has washing soda and borax with a bar soap added but I make this to save money not because I believe there are harmful chemicals in my old store bought laundry detergent. As for chemicals, honestly I doubt you'll ever be able to make an actual detergent for cleaning clothes, or anything else, without some kind of chemical. Every type of so-called natural cleaners I've researched was found to not have any actual cleaning property at all.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous- plain white vinegar works good for cleaning countertops, and it's supposed to keep ants away- but I've never had an ant problem. I've heard it's good for cleaning bathrooms too, but I haven't used it for that yet. I do put it in when doing laundry as I have a bedwetter, and it helps get rid of the urine smell.
    badgirl44654

Comment by badgirl44654 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• In the olden days,.. didint they just use a bar of lye soap, scrub on a wahboard or in a creek, rinse and dry? That what I always heard and people still make lye soap but it is killer on your hands I have used it some, must wear gloves, but it gets even dryed in stains out of clothes.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 1:07 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Making powdered laundry detergent isn't worth the risks the go along with working closely with the component chemicals. Making a liquid laundry detergent with cocamidopropyl betaine and deccyl glucoside is safer, but it probably won't be cheaper.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:02 AM on Dec. 30, 2010