Should government legislate Morality?

I have heard liberals say, "you can't legislate morality."

~Is Health Insurance a moral issue? Obama has said so...
~Don't some say the government has a moral obligation to take money from productive tax paying citizens to fund Medicaid, food stamps, etc?
~Isn't same sex marriage a moral issue?
~Abortion Rights, aren't they are "moral issue"?

Isn't it more a question of WHO's view of morality is being legislated?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Thou shat not kill is a moral directive. It is against the law to murder. Thou shalt no covet thy neighbor's wife. Adultery is a crime in the US Code of Military Justice and in some states/counties/municipalities... though more honored in the breach than anything else. Honor thy mother and thy father. Elder abuse is illegal.

Most of our laws are based in morality. So you can legislate REQUIREMENTS to be moral... but like that horse at the trough, you can't make the citizens drink!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• The government should not legislate anything.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• "The government should not legislate anything. "

Then can we just fire the Congress, since that eliminates their whole reason for being? It would save a lot of tax dollars!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• We had this debate in one of my criminal justice classes. To some degree, yes, adults should not be having sex with children. However, I don't think they should regulate who you have sex with after a certain age so I will agree with gdiamante on this and say that they should legislate requirements.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You are correct.....everything that is legislated is a moral issue...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I suspect it will come down to this tidbit I learned early in my career from a teacher much wiser than I: Only make rules that you are willing to enforce.

The government can legislate anything it wants, even morality, but does it have the desire, money, and/or manpower to enforce that legislation?

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Morality on a wide scale is the same as opinion to me. You can't legislate opinion, therefore you can't legislate morality, except when it infringes on the rights of others. When it comes to abortion you will have people argue that the baby should not have it's right to live infringed upon, however there is no legal determination of when a fetus is considered a life. Some people's 'morality' doesn't consider it a life until he / she can draw their own breath, some consider it when egg and sperm are introduced. It's an interesting subject though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Who then will take care of pedophiles? Murderers? etc? Someone has to regulate.
    Have we forgotten who the "government" should be? THE PEOPLE.
    Hopefully we have these laws because the PEOPLE voted and said what should be.
    It shouldn't matter who is regulating these laws and what they are based off of, as long as the people are speaking and their word is the one that's enforced.
    Anonymous

• This is one of those gray issues. It can't possibly be black and white. If the government didn't legislate morality, we'd have no laws at all. It's how far we are willing to allow them to go that is the question, IMO, it shouldn't be very far at all.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• So, when some of these liberals say things like, "DC needs to keep it's nose out of my morals.",  or "I sure as hell don't want [INSERT conservative politician here] forcing "MORALS" on me"... Couldn't the same be said about Mandating Health Insurance? Isn't it more a SUBJECTIVE issue of moral legislation?

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2010