How do I get my 3 year to stop sucking her tumb?

Asked by mamma33 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can try to replace it with something else. I have tried everything under the sun to get my 11 year old to stop and he hasn't. I have taken spaghetti boxes and put them on his arms, pringle cans over his arms, wrapping paper tubes over his arms, socks on his hands, mittens, gloves and bandaids over the thumb. I have tried that Thumz stuff that you buy at the drugstore, Tabasco sauce, vinegar, bribery - yes, I even resorted to bribery, and reverse psychology, telling him to go ahead and do it. Alas, he is still doing it! I think that kids will stop when they are good and ready to and not a moment sooner. I have also tried giving him plastic tubing (like the kind for a fishtank) to chew on, sugarless gum in endless supply and sugarfree mints, because if something is in his mouth, he won't suck his thumb... he is still doing it.

Answer by richgirljj at 9:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• well my 2 yr. old sucks his thumb too hopefully he will just grow out of it i know that wasn't no help i'm sorry!

Answer by JAYNE950 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

Answer by JAYNE950 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Honestly...good luck...I was a "finger" sucker and I didn't completely stop until after I was 18 and married...I dont think you can get her to STOP but you could try to just make sure she knows she shouldn't do it in public or with people around...just like picking their nose or something...just a thought...good luck!

Answer by embleier at 2:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If you find out, let me know! My 3 -year-old sucks his thumb, and it's his favorite thing to do when he's bored or tired. He has actually sucked his thumb between bites of ice cream before! I sucked my thumb when I was little, too. I think I stopped around the age of 8. I didn't want to get picked on. Unfortunately, it contributed to my need for braces, so I got picked on anyway. I don't think I'm going to be able to get my son to stop until he decided he wants to. He depends on it to soothe himself way too much to let some tabasco stop him.

Answer by sweetsauce at 11:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Not much you can do to curb it. I was a thumbsucker myself and I remember ducking under the table to "get something" just to have a short suck. Sounds weird, I know, but I would sneak sucking my thumb whenever I got in trouble for it. I eventually grew out of it probably around 8. I never did it in public and I think getting into school and spending the night at friends probably broke me of the habit. I'd suggest teaching polite behavior rather than punishment.

Answer by xiemoon at 4:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My three year old grandson still sucks his thumb, usually only when he's tired or upset, but we have tried everything to help him break this habit. The dentist says it must stop as his teeth are starting to be affected. So if anyone has the answer to this age old dilemma I would sure like to know the answer, too!!!

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2009