Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to choose an OB/GYN for over 35

I will hopefully be having my second child at 36 years old. I want to switch ob/gyns because I did not care for the one I used with my first pregnancy. If I am over 35, should I pick a high risk doctor? Or do I have to be referred to one from a regular OB/GYN?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • You don't HAVE to be referred to a high risk obgyn...the obgyn just has to accept you as a patient. That being said, I had my first at 36 and my second at obgyn was a regular doc, not high-risk, even though after the birth of my first, my second was extremely high risk. If you need a specialist for any reason, they'll get you to the right person so I say go to the one you LIKE =)

    Answer by mainemusicmaker at 11:32 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • I would go to a regular one. If there are any concerns other than age, that doctor will refer you to a high risk ob. I was high risk (I was only 26 but had other medical problems) and was seen both by a regular ob and a high risk ob, who communicated with each other weekly to make sure I had the best care I could get.

    Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

  • I used an OB/GYN that was well noted for handling high risk pregnancies. I didn't have to be referred to him.

    Answer by specialwingz at 12:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • I'd call and set up first meet appoint. with 3-4 then pick one.

    Answer by kingkongsmom at 1:03 AM on Dec. 30, 2010