What do promise rings mean to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When we were 17, my husband gave me his class ring, which was a symbol that we were dating each other and no one else.
    When we had been dating 10 months, he went to Italy and brought me back a ring, which I wore on the ring finger of my left hand. We didn't call it a promise ring or discuss what it meant, but we just always assumed we would get married. We moved in together 2 months later and got married about 2 months after that. I think it's a sweet thing, a symbol that two people are more than just dating.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• When a man gives a woman a promise ring, to me it means that he promises to propose to her and marry her one day.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Rings don't really mean anything to me really. I heard someone say one time, "Why do I need a ring. I have a ring around my heart". I like that!!! That's words to live by!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• In all honesty....I don't think they mean anything. Promise to be yours? Promise to marry you someday?....
    The same with....engagement rings...they really mean nothing *to me*.....unless you know when your getting married. I don't get these people that know they're getting married, but wait YEARS to actually follow through with it.
    Anonymous

• nothing. studies actually show that kids that have promise rings lose their virginity earlier.

or are you talking about a marriage promise ring? that's just the pre-preposal. some people use their class ring as one. for me, i like the element of surprise. there really isn't any surprise when you have a promise ring...you know he'll ask sometime, you just don't know when. and there's no shock when he finally does.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• From what. I understand a promise to marry that person.
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 11:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It means. I don't want to get married to you but I want to keep you around until I get something better.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It means that they are too scared and unsure about asking you to marry them and setting an actual date.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 11:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Well i am 23 & i think a promise ring is a good step to take to me you promise to love, be honest, & committed to that one person i am a live in the moment type of gal so my mind doesnt go into deep thought about it being a pre-enagagement ring or when or if we will get married its a promise ring nothing more and nothing less and what woman doesnt like diamonds lol idk i guess it mean something diffrent to everybody!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Depends....I got a Promise ring from my Dad, but I promised to be abstinante.

A lot of girls I know get them from their Dads.

Seems like if a boy gives u one it means maybe ya'll are too young to get married or engaged but still promise to be faithful to one another
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2010