Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Adult Children

My daughter drinks quite a bit and I'm afraid of what is going to happen to her or someone else, yes she does drink and drive. She is 27 yrs old and gets upset if I say anything to her about it. How can I help her without driving her away?


Asked by Momabear455 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 22 (12,794 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • This is a hard one, however she is 27 year old and she is going to do what she wants. I know how hard it is to watch your children self destruct. I have a 22 year old son and he's been really going down the wrong road and I keep hearing you haveto quit enabling, so easy said than done

    Answer by Gwyn135 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

  • Call the cops on her, anonymously. Tough love. Hopefully she'll get the help she needs.
    Unfortunately she has to live the consequences of her actions to herself and others.
    Hang in there mama *huge hugs*

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

  • she is 27yrs old no matter what you say she is not going to listen ,but ask her from me how do you like your freedom
    if what you live for great ,but when you drink and drive you are willing to end your freedom by killing some one or hole family
    so you will do time it could be life ,
    okay she likes to drink but we have taxis tell take one or call home you or hubby will pick her up
    take the dame keys away till she grows up
    if this still does not work call the cops you will be saving her life and familys life at the same time

    Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

  • how about thinking of all the other people she could hurt or kill when shes driving drunk call the cops give her plate number whatever ou have to do and even if she finds out it was you would you rather visit her in a jail cell

    Answer by momofalltrades at 11:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • She's an adult now and you're in a tough spot! She's either going to get in a horrible accident and kill herself or someone else, how stingy is that! Is she still living at home? If she is and she won't listen, sounds like tough love is in need. Good luck!

    Answer by Kathy675 at 12:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • She doesnt live at home she has her own apartment.

    Comment by Momabear455 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • Are you the only one concerned Mom? Is her drinking to the point she needs an intervention? Bottom line...for her safety and others if you are aware she is driving under the influence you need to call the cops on her. Sometimes we have to make a rock bottom before they go off the edge of the cliff.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • I agree with Anon. My DH was horrible about drinking and driving. He got a DUI, and he hasn't touched the stuff since. The next time you know that she is drinking and driving, call the cops on her. Let her go to jail and face the consequences. I would talk to the judge and let him know this is not a first, and may not be a last. He may order her to counseling. The consequences depend on what state you live in.


    Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • If you know that she is drinking and driving - call the cops. For the sake of those other families that are on the road with her, turn her in. Don't bail her out, don't testify on her behalf, she needs to face the consequences and no longer be enabled by anyone to continue her destructive behavior.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • I would still call the cops even if she doesn't live at home. Would you rather push her away , visit her in prison for vehicular manslaughter OR BURY HER!

    Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2010