Religion

My brother doesnt believe in God and I and my spouse have tried to talk with him about God. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can convince him there is a God and the bible is not made up by man? He just recently had a heart attack and he's only 31.

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• While many are right, you can't convince anyone, you can reason with them. You can show how the Bible supports history. You can show how it has fulfilled prophecy hundreds of years later. I also like the thought of creation. Thinking about how complex life is. If you put all the pieces of a chair into a box and shake them up, what are the chances they would they ever become a chair? Someone has to put it together. Wouldn't something so much more complex , like the brain, need a creator? Just a few thoughts from the top of my head. :)
    BlueberryDream

Answer by BlueberryDream at 7:45 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You cant convince him. You have to RESPECT him and his choices especially when it comes to spiritual beliefs.

You can talk til you are blue in your face but that will only prove to him you dont respect him or find him competent enough to know his own heart/mind.

Respect him, love him, and be there when he asks for your assistance. If you want to "prove" there is a God(which, in reality, cant be done except to prove it to yourself) then be an example. Dont talk, dont preach, dont poopoo his beliefs or non-beliefs but be a good, caring, non-judgemental sibling.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I'm sorry for your brother's ill health. That must be hard for all of you. I'm a fan of the idea that we are best sending our message when we are practicing love and compassion. Why do you need to convince him? Can you not just support him where he is? Being pressured in your beliefs is stressful and that's one thing a recovering heart attack victim really does not need! Just be there for him, show him love, and give him space and respect. Coming from someone who has an extremely pushy family member (not about religion but culture, in our case), it's my opinion that no one can 'make' someone embrace something that they don't willingly embrace, and it alienates the person to continue trying in the case of resistance. He needs support, not debate. Hope his recovery is smooth and he is soon back on his feet!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:11 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can convince him there is a God and the bible is not made up by man?

You can't!  You simple cannot.  Like those above have said, he will believe what he believes. 

(And no amount of "discussion" or prayer will change that.) 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I honestly feel that you shouldn't pressure someone into your beliefs. Every person needs to find their own path. It's fine to share ideas and discuss religion, of course, as long as he is open to the idea. If he doesn't want to discuss religion or feels he's set on his beliefs, that should be respected. I hope he's doing better, and has quick recovery.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You can just talk to him. Don't pressure someone. Why does he have to follow your and your husbands religion? He is believes in somethig isn't that better than nothing?>
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My advice? Show him how God works through your treatment, respect, and love of him, not by trying to pressure him or convince him. Like Freela said, he's in a fragile condition and needs a stress-free environment so that he can heal. I also agree with Amaramanth very much. Don't tell him about God, show him God's love through yourself.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My suggestion: Leave him alone. Dont try to convenience him, he's 31 and that means that he is fully capable of making his own religious decisions. If you really want him to lean your way then just live by example, after all that's what Jesus was said to have done.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:29 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You could be unknowingly causing him undue stress with trying to convince him. What would it hurt to provide him comfort without involving your religion. It would show more love for him to just be there and offer help without trying to make him believe as you do. It's like I told my siblings, me believing as they do only brings THEM comfort and not me. It is not wrong to just be there and leave something as intimate as faith out of it. I hope he has improved health and vitality.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

You can't!  If you keep trying to push it on him, you will lose him.  It is his life and he has the RIGHT to live it his way!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2010