What can i give my dog who has been iching all winter?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 11:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Pets

• Your dog may just have dry skin. I would check for allergy possibilities first. But if it's dry skin try adding a bit of olive oil to their food everyday. It helped with my german shepherd. Her coat looked much better too.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• An oatmeal bath.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My puppy suffers from dry skin, especially in the winter. Her vet has me wash her with any kind of moisturizing baby wash a couple times a week.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You can give the dog benadryl however you should try to find the cause. What does your dog eat? is there something in the environment that the dog is allergic to? Does the dog have a skin infection right now? Does the skin or ears smell yeasty?
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:46 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We've had a couple of dogs that are allergic to chicken. Just recently realized that this was our weiner dogs problem too. I switched her to a chicken-free foot and her skin has cleared up and the digging has stopped and she's even finally starting to put on weight. I also used children's Benadryl to help her out and oatmeal soap just to soothe her skin.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 8:51 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You can get a supplement that will help with this. But in all honesty it was too rich for my dog. You can also get a shampoo that is non drying and try that. I used NOva Pearls in the white bottle. That really helped a lot. But just for kicks check and make sure your dog doesn't have fleas.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Our dog has the same issue ... constant itching. I check with a groomer and a vet ... depending on weight, you can give them benadryl. We give our dog one pill every 8 hours or do.

http://www.benadrylfordogs.com/  <---- check out this site for more information. 

I agree that you should also check for fleas. Also, if your house is really dry, that will cause your animals to itch. Get a humidifier or just keep a kettle on the stove to let moisture in the air. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2010